Possible causes of Tahoe cutting off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsuber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some input in where to begin with an issue I'm having. My vehicle is a 2019 Tahoe LS custom midnight edition, 5.3L engine. Lately, I've had experiences with two things, presumably caused by the same issue. The most frequent issue is the Tahoe cutting completely off. Engine, electronics, everything. The engine cuts off, the instrument panel goes out, power braking/sterring is gone. Everything. It's exactly the experience you would have if you turned the ignition off and pulled the key out. Dead vehicle. Most of these instances are at low speeds, like in a parking lot, and while I'm turning the steering wheel. Fortunately, I've been able to coast to a stop, shift back to Park, and the Tahoe cranks back up like nothing happened. I do get the message on the instrument cluster that I need to lower and raise the driver's and front passenger windows. The other scenario I've noticed similar kind of behavior, but the Tahoe didn't totally cut off, was on the highway when I had to press the gas pretty hard to accelerate. The engine revved up but then shuddered some and I got some flickering of the instrument cluster. I backed off the throttle some and it returned to normal. No actual full cut-off, but it had a similar feeling in the driver's seat.

Any ideas on this one...???

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Classic signs of a loose battery connection or defective battery cables, bad battery, or the megafuse if you have that. Cables can rot from the inside out, so a careful inspection of their condition and routing for signs of being compromised would be recommended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lsuber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I'd circle back and put in some additional info, in case this is useful to anyone later. So not long after my post here, the water pump died. It apparently had been gradually going bad for a few weeks, and finally broke earlier this week. It made some pretty terrible noises on the drive in to work one day, and when I got there and parked, all of the coolant was flowing out from under the car. I got it replaced, along with a non-functioning door lock actuator, and have not had any of the issues I'd been having before. No cut-offs, no flickering of instrument cluster lights, nothing. It it possible a failing water pump somehow was causing those issues? Is it possible a broken door lock actuator was having an affect on the electical system? These are things I don't know, but having them replaced has coincided with the issues ceasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts