Poor gas mileage question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floridayukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2001 Yukon XL has been running great until recently I noticed getting only 9-10 mpg's. When I took it out on the highway I notice a bit of hestitation at cruising speeds and when I floor it the "service engine soon" blinks until I let off. I get no cel lights and all service is up to date. I do have 203k but it still runs great around town.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe bad gas?

If the CEL is blinking while the engine is under load it's having a problem with the ignition cycle. It could be bad gas, worn plugs, bad wires, maybe even an O2 sensor that might need to be replaced with high mileage.

Also cat converters when they go bad they keep the engine from breathing under load and would also fit the behavior your experiencing. If the engine runs fine under low loads like city driving but feels sluggish at highway speeds and under load it's a good indication of a plugged cat.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, id start with the simple tune up stuff first and report back

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, it may be worth it to buy a scanner. i got mine for $30 off amazon and it sure helps when the reduced engine power issue occurs. itll pay for its self first time it points a problem out for u

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like this is the problem, but when my fuel pump was dying my mileage dropped. Got a new one and gained back a couple mpg's....

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 01 Z71 Tahoe that got 10mpg and I kept it in 2wd for the most part... sounds like the mileage isn't too far from the norm.

zrxoa1

Reaction score
Wow! 10 mpg???? My '01 Yukon xl got 18-20mpg. I am crying now with an '07 that gets 12mpg...

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while my HTC Rezound charges! LOL ) using Tapatalk

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 12.5 on mine with 35's and 4.56's, not too bad considering.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2