External trans filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you’re in there install the trans cooler and new high-temp transmission hose.

Trucool 40k install
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rum.com/index.php?posts/1332042/&share_type=t

I never even thought about installing an aftermarket inline filter. I wish I would have added that into my plan of attack as it would have been quite simple to fab up a bracket and put the filter accessible from the upper radiator mount area near the air filter box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far where I am at is this:

For the filter, Donaldson has a 6 micron unit flow characteristics well in excess of what I think would be needed for this application
Part number P564357

And they have a housing with an internal bypass valve at 5psi. Housing thread size is 3/4" npt
Part number P561135

Still no luck on determining flow rate through the cooler. Will need to just go oversized and err on the side of caution. With tentative setup, theoretical restriction should be no more than 10psi in a worst case scenario. 5psi bypass, with the listed head restriction showing 15gpm flow at 10 psi pressure differential. Viscosity wasn't listed in the spec sheet that I can find, so I'm leaving some very generous safety margins here.

Still need to determine which line on the trans is cooler return, and which is cooler out.

Plus figure out how to attach the thing. I see mainly 2 options here, barring making my own lines and entirely replumbing the thing.

Option A. Is cut, flare, fitting
Option B. Is cut, then compression fitting.
Option C I guess would be to put hoses directly over the cooler line but I'm not comfortable with how secure that would be

Given the pressure these things are under, I'm not sure a flared line would be appropriate. So I'm thinking option B, put some compression fittings on with a 3/8" hose barb, run hoses to filter, then back to the loop and enter in the cooler. Seems to me it would make more sense to filter pre cooler than post cooler. Keep the things clean internally, and take advantage of the lower viscosity offered by warmer fluid.

Uhhhh OK enough rambling / tldr

Still need help on:
- flow rate?
- which lines coming out of the trans are what
- where the hell do I buy this stuff - Amazon has it
I bypassed my radiator, the lines were leaking and i dont like the risk of mixing coolant and trans fluid if i have a rad failure.

I just cut the metal lines and flared them and slipped on some rubber hose with 2 clamps. No problems running it that way for months now.

These are not under that much pressure.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I bypassed my radiator, the lines were leaking and i dont like the risk of mixing coolant and trans fluid if i have a rad failure.

I just cut the metal lines and flared them and slipped on some rubber hose with 2 clamps. No problems running it that way for months now.

These are not under that much pressure.
You're a braver man than I

Though I will inquire as to your cooling setup and Temps. I've long considered bypassing the rad and installing a thermostat but I've been too much of a scared cat cause my Temps have been pretty damn good.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a braver man than I

Though I will inquire as to your cooling setup and Temps. I've long considered bypassing the rad and installing a thermostat but I've been too much of a scared cat cause my Temps have been pretty damn good.

I track my trans temps with the factory guage only Not sure how good that is. You could use an obd2 scanner to see yours.

Lots of guys at PT.net running the tru cool 40k with the rad bypassed. Great performance with that setup. Including people with bigger stalls and whatnot.

My Caddy is the wifes daily. It barely ever tows anything or gets worked hard but lots of stop and go.

We do regularly see 100*+ F ambient

It takes longer to get up to temp than before and normally settles around 185*F to 195*.

Working it in the mountains around santa cruz @100* i think i saw a peak of 200ish. Lots of low speed turns gear changes and elevation changes.

I dont think cooling performance has been significantly impacted, but again not a tow pig or driven hard.

I am running this cooler which was basically plug and play. Got it for like $60 open box. If i were to spend anymore id have just got the 40k.

ACDelco 89022577 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Auxiliary Fluid Cooler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9TRWG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uuCsDb441360P

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I track my trans temps with the factory guage only Not sure how good that is. You could use an obd2 scanner to see yours.

Lots of guys at PT.net running the tru cool 40k with the rad bypassed. Great performance with that setup. Including people with bigger stalls and whatnot.

My Caddy is the wifes daily. It barely ever tows anything or gets worked hard but lots of stop and go.

We do regularly see 100*+ F ambient

It takes longer to get up to temp than before and normally settles around 185*F to 195*.

Working it in the mountains around santa cruz @100* i think i saw a peak of 200ish. Lots of low speed turns gear changes and elevation changes.

I dont think cooling performance has been significantly impacted, but again not a tow pig or driven hard.

I am running this cooler which was basically plug and play. Got it for like $60 open box. If i were to spend anymore id have just got the 40k.

ACDelco 89022577 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Auxiliary Fluid Cooler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9TRWG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uuCsDb441360P
Yeah I have the trucool 40k with rad pass through. I only ever break 130 degrees if it's over 90 degrees in stop and go or over 86 on the highway. Yes I have it down that specific

Temps measured via scan tool

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my TC 40k I hit high 180’s to 190’s towing 5000 lbs in 85 degree weather doing 60MPH. This was with many hills and while using tow mode. The engine braking doesn’t help with the temp control but is a necessary evil.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my TC 40k I hit high 180’s to 190’s towing 5000 lbs in 85 degree weather doing 60MPH. This was with many hills and while using tow mode. The engine braking doesn’t help with the temp control but is a necessary evil.

Yeah I always use tow haul for engine braking in the hills even when not towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick