Please help! Ticking Noise from transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gchydro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello all!!
This is my first post

I have a chevy Tahoe 2002 with the 5.3 Vortec. Today I stopped at a gas station and when I started my truck to leave I started hearing a ticking sound while accelerating. I pulled over and the ticking continued in nuetral. I inspected the engine compartment and realized the ticking is coming from the transmission area. It does not get worse when I play with the throttle either. The ticking stays constant in nuetral but when I do drive it the noise goes in and out when accelerating in low gears. The truck has about 175k miles on it. I don't even know where to begin. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could put the truck on jack stands, crawl under with an automotive stethoscope while your driver starts and runs the vehicle in various gears. If you hear the noise from the transmission, it is probably time for a rebuild.

I would also check the transfer case with the stethoscope. The loudest source of noise is where it is at!

And stay away from all those whirling parts!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine did that once and it turned out to be a bolt in the torque converter had came out and was loose inside, opened it up replaced the bolt and off down the road again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts