Whining Noise From Speakers/Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenCasiday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a new Head Unit, Sub amp, and Speaker amp in my truck and now i hear a whining noise from door speakers when accelerating, i had the head unit and sub in prior to the issue, but when i put in new door speakers and the amp the issue appeared and it gets louder with acceleration, and my alternators regulator is bad so im wondering if that’s part of the problem

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it gets worse as you accelerate, then you are experiencing feedback from the alternator. You probably should put a filter in anyway, but if you know the alternator has problems, you should likely replace that first. Believe it or not, an alternator that is on its way out can reduce MPGs by 1-2 MPG. This is because they can put additional load on the engine, trying to make them move at the same speed.

OP
OP
S

StephenCasiday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it gets worse as you accelerate, then you are experiencing feedback from the alternator. You probably should put a filter in anyway, but if you know the alternator has problems, you should likely replace that first. Believe it or not, an alternator that is on its way out can reduce MPGs by 1-2 MPG. This is because they can put additional load on the engine, trying to make them move at the same speed.
what’s a filter?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't give you the technical terms -- I just know what is needed. The audio guys, at a minimum, will point and laugh!

That said, there are inline devices you can buy -- or build -- that block certain frequencies. I'm not sure you can do it at the resistor level (power line). An inline capacitor might do it also (that should stop the direct feed of electricity). The problem, if indeed this is what you are experiencing, is that the alternator is generating a signal that is being passed through your entertainment system. If you really think this is the case, you might stop at a radio shop, have them take a listen, and get an estimate for them to fix it. Dollars to donuts, it won't take more than an hour's labor, and the part(s) will be cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia