Parking Brake light in cluster issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is posted in the right section....
anyways, I did some searching and didn’t find any clear answers as to what I’m looking for. So here goes. This afternoon when I went to drive home from work, I released my parking brake, put the truck(2006 Yukon xl Denali) in gear and started driving. But the red light for the parking brake in my cluster wouldn’t shut off. It flashed when in gear. So I pulled over, put in park, press the parking brake to floor and it engages as normal. And the light goes solid. then I pulled the handle and it released like normal, put it in gear and it rolls like normal, so I know the parking brake is released but the light Flashes and the chime is going off at me.
The parking brake pedal is releasing all the way, and the little cable from the handle to pedal is good. And the all the cables underneath the truck for the parking brakes are intact.

In other threads people suggested checking brake fluid level. My reservoir is full. No low fluid and no low brake fluid message in the info center.

I checked all the fuses in both panels, and none are blown.

Another thread was talking about replacing the brake light switch, which is attached to the top of my regular brake pedal. Would replacing that affect the parking brake? Also, correct me if I’m wrong but if the regular brake light switch was bad, I would not have have brake lights correct? That’s not the case. Had my friend push the brake pedal for me and all brake lights light up as they should.

So next question is there a separate switch for the parking brake that can go bad? that would need to be replaced and cause the light in the cluster to stay on even when the parking brake is fully released?

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In doing some more research, and to clarify, all the videos I’ve watched show the ABS light and parking brake light on at the same time. my ABS light has not triggered at all. It’s just the parking brake light staying on.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the switch on the parking brake bracket is loose or going bad. The other reason that light can come on is a pressure change in the braking system.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the switch on the parking brake bracket is loose or going bad. The other reason that light can come on is a pressure change in the braking system.
So there is a separate switch attached somewhere to the parking brake? Where would I find that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879