Painting calipers??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
francis, taking it off is the best way if you dont mind bleeding the blrakes. but majority of people using that g2 kit are doing it on the vehicle. go to youtube and youll find a bunch of videos like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzaUKce_PQ

its pretty simple, just follow the directions and itll look great. the brush included is a foam brush ad its VERY simple to do edges with. also dont try to lay the layers on too thick, the paint itself is pretty thick so it takes a few minutes for a run to develope. by the time it has developed alot of the area around it has started to cure, so its hard to blend a run. just put on thin even coats, and do multiples, ATLEAST 3 coats. if youre only doing youre rears, youre gonna have way more than enough paint. paint your key fob or something with the extra paint

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will I'm replacing fronts with wilwood and stainless lines all around so I'm going to have to bleed regardless so I might as well do it right.should I drain all the dot3 and replace with new dot3 or 4??

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we didnt drain the cobras, but if you would like to do it, theres no better time

drkhrse00

Reaction score
Definitely post pics whe your done! Taking them off is the best way to go like ATL said. Much cleaner looking job when its all done. Well worth the work! Good luck!

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would spray them down with brake cleaner. This will remove grease and oil. Then go over them with simple green or other degreaser and rinse well(maybe not necessary). Then paint with caliper paint. I like the brush on caliper paint so you don't have to remove the calipers from the vehicle.

I'll be attempting this tomorrow. got the duplicolor caliper paint kit with cleaner. Will post pics tomorrow if all goes well. I plan on painting it while on the vehicle because I dont want to have to bleed the brakes.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some pics of my first caliper...since i used a brush, i didnt need to tape off all that much. and it occured to me that you dont really need to paint the entire caliper (back side) since it won't be visible. Did approx. 3 coats. Ran out of time to do the others, but will be back at it next weekend. Turned out good enough for me to continue on

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-18.jpg

file-17.jpg

file-19.jpg

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good job! is the duplicolor kit a 2 part paint?

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice... How long did you let dry between coats??

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good job! is the duplicolor kit a 2 part paint?

duplicolor kit is not 2 parts. Just open up, stir, and paint

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Nice... How long did you let dry between coats??

about 15-20 minutes as directed on box. They say as long as you do your 2nd/3rd/4th coat within an hour of the previous, your good. You'll notice that if you do it too soon, it will start to smudge from your brush.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the crappy pic. I took pics step by step but unfortunately I drop my phone in a bucket of water :(

Tools-brake cleaner 3 cans,iron brushes and a metal scrapper

I did 3 coats 20min apart in 65deg weather came out really nice.I also painted he front of the rotor black so it won't rust out and did a rubberized undercoat and wheel well coat

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5ytq1b

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331238902.119304.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331238902.119304.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331240263.716471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331240263.716471.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members