Painting calipers??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to paint my calipers (rear) to match my wilwoods (couldn't afford whole kit don't judge) what steps should I take to ensure that the paint will stick an won't look crappy?? And how should I prep for painting on used calipers with oil and other residue ???

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would spray them down with brake cleaner. This will remove grease and oil. Then go over them with simple green or other degreaser and rinse well(maybe not necessary). Then paint with caliper paint. I like the brush on caliper paint so you don't have to remove the calipers from the vehicle.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would spray them down with brake cleaner. This will remove grease and oil. Then go over them with simple green or other degreaser and rinse well(maybe not necessary). Then paint with caliper paint. I like the brush on caliper paint so you don't have to remove the calipers from the vehicle.

Do you think autozone or pepboys will carry caliper paint?

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think autozone or pepboys will carry caliper paint?

they have the vht spray cans. but they dont have any quality brush ons. ive used g2 brake kit with great results. it brush on and its pretty easy to lay on 3 nice, even coats and never have to mess with it again. we painted my girls brakes right around christmas time. heres a few pics...

Photo0195.jpg

Photo0200.jpg

pink.jpg

frontpink.jpg

rearpink.jpg

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered the g2 kit from eBay hopefully the red is not to bright an will come close to wilwood red.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have the vht spray cans. but they dont have any quality brush ons. ive used g2 brake kit with great results. it brush on and its pretty easy to lay on 3 nice, even coats and never have to mess with it again. we painted my girls brakes right around christmas time. heres a few pics...

Photo0195.jpg

Photo0200.jpg

pink.jpg

frontpink.jpg

rearpink.jpg

Did you do any sanding?

drkhrse00

Reaction score
A good cleaning with degreaser and or brake cleaner,if you have compressed air I suggest that as well. Shouldnt take anymore than a scrubbing with a grey or red scotchbrite pad to put a deep enough scratch for the paint to adhere too. How far you disassemble your calipers for paint is up to you. Its more about the prep work than the paint.

Last edited:

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drk is right, its all in the prep. i used a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it to prep these. wire wheeled them down to the bare metal, then sprayed them down with 2 cans of brake cleaner. your g2 kit will come with a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool I'm taking the caliper completely off so I would be able to get in there a get a deep scrub.will post pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar