P0650 CEL - Rebuilt cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

findog78

Reaction score
I got a P0650 CEL code. It's misfiring and the smell of gas in the cab. In searching the code there were threads that mention these symptoms and LED's and cluster relationships? I just had my cluster rebuilt with tranny gauge. The week I had the cluster out for rebuild, I was driving it with no cluster and this is when the misfire started?
Haven't done and hot compression or swapping of coils or injectors tests. Anyone reconcile this issue?

Attachments

• Gauge cluster.jpg
    Gauge cluster.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 4

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that code is telling us the check engine light is not lighting up. key to run engine off it should show. most of the time its a bad bulb.

if the mis fires started when the cluster was out, thats its own issue. scan the truck engine running after you feel the misfires. turning it off clears a pending code. and you wont see a cel due to it not working as per the p0650 code you already have set.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
that code is telling us the check engine light is not lighting up. key to run engine off it should show. most of the time its a bad bulb.

if the mis fires started when the cluster was out, thats its own issue. scan the truck engine running after you feel the misfires. turning it off clears a pending code. and you wont see a cel due to it not working as per the p0650 code you already have set.
The CEL flashes while I'm driving. You are correct, the code didn't show when I turned engine off and checked with code reader. I'll try reading it with the engine running. I also spotted a burnt plug wire today. Frickn Taylor wires were only a few months old. I suspect that's the culprit. Thanks

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the cel was flashing you'd think there would not be a code for a inop cel light, does it light up with all the other dummy lights when you turn key to run?

the melted plug wire you found could make the cel flash for sure.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CEL flashes while I'm driving. You are correct, the code didn't show when I turned engine off and checked with code reader. I'll try reading it with the engine running. I also spotted a burnt plug wire today. Frickn Taylor wires were only a few months old. I suspect that's the culprit. Thanks
A flashing CEL means there is active detonation (Preignition, AKA Spark knock) happening. Its odd it didnt throw any P0300 series codes which tell you which cylinder(s) are at fault. IE: P0306 would mean misfire on cylinder#6, etc. With engine running check your misfire counts and see if a certain cylinder(s) are showing high numbers of counts. But a melted spark plug wire (Im assuming it was laying against the manifold) would definitely cause that cylinder to misfire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylentnite