P0521

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0521 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor / Switch Range / Performance popped up today, YAY

One thing I've noticed since we are starting to get some cold weather (in the last week) is my oil pressure will drop when accelerating even at low speeds but, once up to temp will be normal.
I typically let my car warm up until it idles down then go. Never saw it drop before, little concerning.
I do know the light came on because it was low while I was accelerating getting up to speed, once up to temp everything was fine. Actually, it seems like the pressure went up just a bit.
Any thoughts?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the original post.
I recently replaced my sender/sensor and screen.

Thanks for the links though, I'll be bookmarking them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the original post.
I recently replaced my sender/sensor and screen.

Thanks for the links though, I'll be bookmarking them.
Did you replace them with Genuine GM/AC Delco parts or the Dorman crap that causes problems for everyone? Oil Viscosity? Brand of oil? Why did you replace the sender/sensor and screen? To fix this problem? Did you use a mechanical gauge to get a true reading before the new parts install?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace them with Genuine GM/AC Delco parts or the Dorman crap that causes problems for everyone? Oil Viscosity? Brand of oil? Why did you replace the sender/sensor and screen? To fix this problem? Did you use a mechanical gauge to get a true reading before the new parts install?

Honestly, my mechanic replaced them. And I'm sure they used some random brand.

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30. I lost all oil pressure but, it ran fine and I don't remember even getting a CEL.
Brought it to my mechanic and he diagnosed it and replaced everything and it resolved the problem.

Looks like I'm going to order some OE parts and replace them myself for piece of mind.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, but please check the actual pressure with a mechanical gauge while the sensor/sender is off. Do it while it is cold and watch and see what it does as it warms and when rev the engine. I am spoiled with mine. No screen and a cold start idles at 45-50 psi and after warm will idle at 38-40 psi. Will climb higher as I accelerate. Could not be happier. If yours makes no noise, then I would not worry about the engine as much as worry about getting the correct readings at the dash. That is why that mechanical gauge testing is so important. You can likely rent a gauge set at a parts store or buy an inexpensive one. Get a long enough hose attachment that you can bring the gauge out under the back of the hood and tape to w/s to watch while driving.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info. I'll try to find a gauge this weekend when I'm hunting for the parts though I have to be honest, not likely to find any OE parts local haha. So, I'll end up ordering everything from amazon or somewhere.
I get a little lifter tick every now and then but it doesn't last long. Mine will sit at the same 38/40 when warm but the pressure isn't high at cold start up. I'll have to pay more attention in the mornings, I usually run out to start it and run in haha.

Found this gauge https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Engine-P...t=&hvlocphy=9010167&hvtargid=pla-586461308155

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts are the way but, damn shipping is ridiculous with the eta.
I'll be ordering the above gauge tonight, that'll be here Monday haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn