P0307 and stability track

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
#7 is in direct line of fire for oil in the intake manifold. You most likely have the early design of Driver’s side valve cover. Might invest in a catch can and get the redesigned valve cover to reduce the amount of oil you’re getting sucked into the intake through the PCV.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel deposits. That’s the result of ongoing misfires, in my opinion.
Yup, and oil deposits. Certainly have a smoking gun there. Mine does the same thing on #7. You can clean that one off, or better off replace it and go from there.

Is you AFM bypassed or active?

OP
OP
S

seatown

Reaction score
Yup, and oil deposits. Certainly have a smoking gun there. Mine does the same thing on #7. You can clean that one off, or better off replace it and go from there.

Is you AFM bypassed or active?
I am getting a new plug today. My guess is the errors will clear, but... what was the cause? would be an open question still....

AFM? active fuel management? Not sure there, nobody has done it under my watch. Looking up how to check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seatown

Reaction score
#7 is in direct line of fire for oil in the intake manifold. You most likely have the early design of Driver’s side valve cover. Might invest in a catch can and get the redesigned valve cover to reduce the amount of oil you’re getting sucked into the intake through the PCV.
It looks like most if not all of my plugs have a little oil on the threads. Would this be from something like a leaky valve cover?
are the valve covers a difficult job?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like most if not all of my plugs have a little oil on the threads. Would this be from something like a leaky valve cover?
are the valve covers a difficult job?
Not a leaky valve cover.

The two main culprits is oil getting sucked into the intake through the PCV port on the DS valve cover. The redesigned them sometime around the 2009/2010 model year (my memeory is fuzzy) and changed how the PVC port is baffles to eliminate oil getting sucked into the intake. #7 takes the brunt of the oil issue because it is at the rear of the intake and the flow of air pushed the oil vapor to the back.

It’s not uncommon for folks to get a decent amount of oil out of an intake when they remove them and dump the oil out of it. I know I did when I removed it in my 2007. Many threads/posts here discussing the new valve cover design. @donjetman

The other common thing is bad valve seals.

Changing out a valve cover is not a difficult job. Just takes some time to remove some stuff so you can get to them.

Valve seals on the other hand are a little more involved.

I’d see about getting a new valve cover and/or a catch can installed and see what that does for you.

OP
OP
S

seatown

Reaction score
Not a leaky valve cover.

The two main culprits is oil getting sucked into the intake through the PCV port on the DS valve cover. The redesigned them sometime around the 2009/2010 model year (my memeory is fuzzy) and changed how the PVC port is baffles to eliminate oil getting sucked into the intake. #7 takes the brunt of the oil issue because it is at the rear of the intake and the flow of air pushed the oil vapor to the back.

It’s not uncommon for folks to get a decent amount of oil out of an intake when they remove them and dump the oil out of it. I know I did when I removed it in my 2007. Many threads/posts here discussing the new valve cover design. @donjetman

The other common thing is bad valve seals.

Changing out a valve cover is not a difficult job. Just takes some time to remove some stuff so you can get to them.

Valve seals on the other hand are a little more involved.

I’d see about getting a new valve cover and/or a catch can installed and see what that does for you.
ok thanks.

Now, is this probably the root cause of my spark plug looking like that?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New plug cleared the error, and the truck is running much better.
I will drive it today and pull the plug back out later to see what it looks like.

That's great! Should last you a while. I have to go though this every 3-4 years because my #7 cylinder is whooped. I have the AFM bypassed with Range device, updated valve cover and catch can. But over 350K on the motor so she has a bit of blow by still. Another old wives tale on these is the oil rings on the pistons clog and cake up and provide another way for oil to contaminate the combustion area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660