Optimal Speed with 6.2 Liter Engine for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally I would like to add an 8k lbs trailer with properly function trailer brakes on both axles will be safer at 85mph than a much lighter load with a single axle without brakes at a lesser speed. It's all about the experience of the person towing and the equipment used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true just like properly torqued lug nuts will be safer at 10 MPH than running only two lug nuts per wheel at 60 MPH.

Regardless, I don't know of any trailer tires rated for such speeds and I believe someone trying to explain this reasoning to Officer T.H.P. would only piss him off.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This response is the most useful, interesting, and relevant answer. I thank you for your insights and suggestions. You understand engines.

Great! You heard what you wanted to hear and are satisfied so now we can all carry on elsewhere. Good luck to you and those around you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been in the automotive/heavy equipment/industrial engine world by trade since 1996. I bet most of you have never seen an engine or drivetrain development lab.....
But hey what would I know, I only spent a 1/3 of my working career as a development engineer.

Let's toss out the legality and safety for the sake of argument. Doesn't it make sense to say that at 70 mph and towing 8k pounds a drivetrain would degrade to 50% of some value after 150k miles? Then can we say that the same drivetrain run at 85 mph and towing 8k pounds would degrade to the same 50% value after just 125k miles?

I remember reading an article written by the engineers who designed the Buick LC2 engine. It was designed to run at 20 psi on pump gas for over 24 hours continuously and they tested that out. My experiences with that engine bore that out. At 24+ psi they always lifted the heads off the block no matter the fasteners and head gaskets used. We knew the 200R4 after being rebuilt with performance parts would last about 30k miles behind a 400 or so RWHP motor. At 500 RWHP, transmission life was 1/2 that.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's toss out the legality and safety for the sake of argument. Doesn't it make sense to say that at 70 mph and towing 8k pounds a drivetrain would degrade to 50% of some value after 150k miles? Then can we say that the same drivetrain run at 85 mph and towing 8k pounds would degrade to the same 50% value after just 125k miles?

I remember reading an article written by the engineers who designed the Buick LC2 engine. It was designed to run at 20 psi on pump gas for over 24 hours continuously and they tested that out. My experiences with that engine bore that out. At 24+ psi they always lifted the heads off the block no matter the fasteners and head gaskets used. We knew the 200R4 after being rebuilt with performance parts would last about 30k miles behind a 400 or so RWHP motor. At 500 RWHP, transmission life was 1/2 that.
I cannot argue with your example of the old LC2, I can't verify its validity but a good example nonetheless. 20psi for 24 hours yet the LC2 in stock form was limited to 14psi. The engineers tested at a condition the consumer would never see to ensure reliability. Manufacturers know the lifecycle of the components they produce and sell. Towing 8k with the 6.2 is like an lc2 at 0psi.
The transmission is protected during shifts by torque management and is rated for over 700 pound feet of torque. Nowhere near the capability of the 6.2. Lots of variables in play but I would bet the vehicle will rust away before the effects of pulling 8k pounds across country a handful of times will come into play.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true just like properly torqued lug nuts will be safer at 10 MPH than running only two lug nuts per wheel at 60 MPH.

Regardless, I don't know of any trailer tires rated for such speeds and I believe someone trying to explain this reasoning to Officer T.H.P. would only piss him off.
My trailer tires are rated for 87mph. Speed rating N. Goodyear endurance I believe. Once again it's all about experience and equipment.

doc 11 acr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I expect to be towing a trailer in the future behind my 2016 Yukon Denali. This SUV has the 6.2 liter engine. I try to take care of the engine. For example, I am careful about making sure that oil changes are conducted at the proper time. My question is this: when I tow a trailer behind my SUV, does it matter what speed I choose? In some states, the speed limit is 65. In other states, it is 70. In Texas, the highest speed limit is 85 MPH. I want to be a safe and responsible driver. I always adhere to the speed limit. I don't care about gaining an extra 30 seconds. But my question focuses on the engine. In order to prolong the life of my 6.2 liter engine, can I drive the speed limit (85 MPH) even if I am towing 8,000 pounds? I have not found any guidance in the Owner's Manual. I try to be a "safe" driver. I also try to take care of my vehicles. Do higher speeds while towing cause more wear on the engine? Should I slow down and driver under the speed limit in order to protect my engine and drivetrain?

doc 11 acr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I expect to be towing a trailer in the future behind my 2016 Yukon Denali. This SUV has the 6.2 liter engine. I try to take care of the engine. For example, I am careful about making sure that oil changes are conducted at the proper time. My question is this: when I tow a trailer behind my SUV, does it matter what speed I choose? In some states, the speed limit is 65. In other states, it is 70. In Texas, the highest speed limit is 85 MPH. I want to be a safe and responsible driver. I always adhere to the speed limit. I don't care about gaining an extra 30 seconds. But my question focuses on the engine. In order to prolong the life of my 6.2 liter engine, can I drive the speed limit (85 MPH) even if I am towing 8,000 pounds? I have not found any guidance in the Owner's Manual. I try to be a "safe" driver. I also try to take care of my vehicles. Do higher speeds while towing cause more wear on the engine? Should I slow down and driver under the speed limit in order to protect my engine and drivetrain?
I believe your focus is in the wrong place. The truck may very well keep up with those speeds but what about the running gear of the trailer? All "special Trailer" tires should not be run any faster than 65 MPH. Those tires will unwind and come apart
. Fact is that you may get away with it for awhile, but you run the risk of a tire ply separation and some very expensive repairs to the trailer or even a total separation from the truck. If you are unsure, look at the sidewall of the tire. There will be a speed rating if not an actual speed "not to exceed". Happy trailering.

EfrainlCazares

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have the 11 AWD Denali, I added an extra tranny cooler and also added a Griffin three core radiator to help keep it cooler in the middle of the Centex heat and would suggest you do so as well. I do not go above 65mph, even on flat roads when hauling my 30ft trlr and try to keep the rmp's below 3000 when I haul at an incline. I only haul once or twice a year, but I do maintain the engine with full synthetic Mobile1 and Mobile1 oil filter. Keep your rear end well maintained and change out fluid when you have to, otherwise, you'll be buying a new read end.
But above all, don't be that guy that's driving dangerously down the road going 70-75mph hauling your trailer........especially in something that isn't made to haul that heavy at that speed!