Optimal Speed with 6.2 Liter Engine for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
Agree with IAMDUB - SAFETY is repeatedly mentioned as a concern, yet SAFE towing parameters are being ignored. Anyone concerned about SAFETY in towing would educate themselves on the true load their vehicle can not only tow, but maneuver and most importantly stop. A vehicles tow rating doesn't mean, hey I can go buy an 8,000 trailer and haul it down the road. Trailer weights, hitch weights, passengers, vehicle cargo, trailer cargo, gasoline, even simple accessories you've added down to different mats in the vehicle all come into play if you are serious about SAFE towing....

Any idiot can hitch something up behind a vehicle and drag it down the road......

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you speaking for him, or your own view?

Both?
It's obvious that I'm speaking sarcastically for him in a bit of a provocative tone, not because I'm [might be] an ass, but because it doesn't matter at this point. The OP is absent and this thread is just being drug out. I'm also speaking based on my view ("view" as in "my eyes viewing the responses on my computer screen") of how the OP resented anyone reminding him of his "commitment" to safety and telling him the high speeds with heavy weight would negatively affect the engine life, however minimal. One person said it was okay and the OP was accepting and satisfied only with this reply. The OP even went further by qualifying this reply by saying "you understand engines". :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm done here. I'll go find less-stupid threads to troll.

OP
OP
J

JWBGMC

Reaction score
But, none of this is what he WANTED to hear. He just needed one person to tell him he's perfectly fine doing what he's going to do anyway and he got that. So, he's satisfied and anyone else is just a pessimistic, condescending and ignorant naysayer.
I am surprised at the hostility. Think I will leave this forum.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive towed my 4,000 lb boat in my 03 gmc 2500 hd up to 75 mph plenty. its not the driving down the road , but how you take off from dead stops thats gonna beat on your truck.

for me it was like nothing back there at all, i had 4.10 gears, could rip a house down with it.

some trailers if not set up right tend to sway around at speed, thats your job to get your trailer frame level so it tows true.

make sure all its brakes work too. and towing that much weight make sure you have a spare tire, and what ever bearing and or hub set up the trailer uses. and the tools to change it on the side of the road. speed makes heat, crap burns up. grease your bearings before every trip, and the trip back if your going 100's of miles. this is easy as most axles have a zerk in the hub center to grease em with. over looked by many weekend warriors.

and always leave yourself a larger then normal space cushion, sucks when you cant slow fast enough. lots of animals out there like to just cut you off out there.