OPEN RECALL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blondie70

Reaction score
Just got a card in mail about a recall. This from a dealership in a nearby state. Guess they got my info off my state's registrations somehow.
Recall info:
N212328770 FRONT PASSENGER AIRBAG TAKATA INFLATOR PRIORITY GROUP 7
Do you guys think this is a scam to get me into the dealership for a sales push?
If it is for real...should I locate a local dealership and expect them to do it (whatever they got to do to the bag ???)
Kinda late for a 2012 vehicle I think...but....better late than never I reckon.
Thanks for any insight
Pete

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the recall work been performed? If not, GM will likely bug you until the vehicle is sold.

I had one of the Explorers in the death tire year group. Despite having 200K miles, Fjord kept bugging me about the tire recall.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got a card in mail about a recall. This from a dealership in a nearby state. Guess they got my info off my state's registrations somehow.
Recall info:
N212328770 FRONT PASSENGER AIRBAG TAKATA INFLATOR PRIORITY GROUP 7
Do you guys think this is a scam to get me into the dealership for a sales push?
If it is for real...should I locate a local dealership and expect them to do it (whatever they got to do to the bag ???)
Kinda late for a 2012 vehicle I think...but....better late than never I reckon.
Thanks for any insight
Pete

Plug your VIN in here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls to see if it has any open recalls.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten about 6 reminders on the past 2 years about it for my 2008. It's legitimate, it took forever for the blame game to finish

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
Thanks guys and thanks Fless for the site....the site shows a real recall on it. Guess I will try to call a dealer on it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a big deal. Glad they notified you. The explosives in the airbag det are going off randomly or not at all due to corrosion of the wiring terminals. A few have died, more have had accidents. They said the risk is higher in hot coastal climates with the potential of salty (ocean) air.

One company made all of the airbag components, then went bk with no replacements avail. GM got stuck with the bill so they slow walked replacing them hoping they could literally change the law on their liability somehow. Fortunately, now it’s just a 15-45 min job depending on the dealership.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a big deal. Glad they notified you. The explosives in the airbag det are going off randomly or not at all due to corrosion of the wiring terminals. A few have died, more have had accidents. They said the risk is higher in hot coastal climates with the potential of salty (ocean) air.

One company made all of the airbag components, then went bk with no replacements avail. GM got stuck with the bill so they slow walked replacing them hoping they could literally change the law on their liability somehow. Fortunately, now it’s just a 15-45 min job depending on the dealership.
Just to clarify - airbags are NOT going off randomly or not at all. And it has nothing to do with wiring/terminals.

The issue is that IF the airbag deploys (crash, rollover, etc) it can explode and POSSIBLY send shrapnel towards the passengers.

Yes, people have died. But again, airbags are not just randomly going off. The unfortunate souls were in a crash, where airbags deployed as designed.

The problem is with the inflator and the propellant used. Airbags are essentially bombs and the bag inflates by capturing the explosive gasses. The inflators in the recall are prone to corrosion, obviously exacerbated by salt if living on/near the coasts, and the inflator can rupture causing the shrapnel issue.

So IF you're in a crash triggering airbag deployment, and IF one of the inflators is corroded, it MIGHT rupture and send shrapnel into the passenger compartment.

The company is/was Takata, and the recall affected 67 million airbag units covering vehicles from just about all major makes.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been receiving reminders to fix this issue for over 2 years. I haven't done anything about it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019