One torsion bar seems to be worn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... there is still the question " about the preload " as far as I undersatnd.. the torsion bar is a " spring "
when the TB is installed... there are two points front ( lowercontrol arm ) and rear ( Brace /support )
so when the TB slides in position then the LCA shoud show downward ( right ) so when the car is back on wheels there will be a ride hight XX and now the adjuster comes in play with him it is possible to adjust the ride height - while raising the preload of the Torsion bar

is it like that ?

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I agree with this to an extent. No problem adjusting it with the weight off the wheels. But when are you doing this? In some repair circumstances it isn't going to make a lick of difference, with or without weight on tires. Of course the bolt threads need to be lubed. Of course you aren't supposed to use a impact wrench...etc, etc. We all are assumed to have knowledge of proper practices.

If the bolt is strong enough to hold the key in position during dynamic forces of suspension travel then it's 100% safe to adjust it with weight on the wheels. I've done it both ways. Unless your a weakling or there are crossed threads then the difference in the amount of force required to turn the bolt with lubed threads is not that great.

If the bolt strips during adjustment then the threads were almost rusted away to begin with. Also, don't forget to check the alignment at the very end. You guys are thinking correctly that it's easier to adjust with weight off the wheels (it is) but depending on circumstances it's not the only way to be done.

Besides, the main purpose here is to adjust in increments. We aren't going for a 3 inch lift effect for off roading tires. if you are putting in new bars, keys, A-arms, etc...yeah lift it up and take the weight off. When the count of threads and measurement is close then fine tune with or without weight. Ultimately though the weight needs to be applied to the suspension to take measurements. Using the front corner of the bumper or frame to ground as a measurement isn't technically considered correct proceedure.

I think we are all on the same page, just difference paragraph. cheers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19