PSA: Check Those Torsion Bar Crossmember Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been chasing a popping sound coming from the driver’s side while turning in/out of parking spaces and while accelerating from a stop with the wheel turned. Replaced a bunch of suspension parts as part of a pre-planned overhaul project and was half hoping the issue would have been resolved with all of that maintenance. WRONG.

After dealing with the sound for another couple months I came across an old thread about the torsion bar crossmember bushings and went to check on mine. The passenger side looked okay for the age, but it’s safe to say that the driver’s side is shot. I’m willing to bet that this bushing is my source and that the noise is just being translated up to the front control arm through the torsion bar.

Once I get these replaced I’ll report back with an update but figured I would remind the forum that these bushings exist and to check them and potentially save some headache and frustration.

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 12

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 1997 Yukon (RIP), and changing the bushings solved the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20