Oil When Replacing AC compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle or replacing my compressor. Had a shop purge the system, I'm swapping the parts, then they are going to pull a vacuum and charge it back up. I'm trying to figure out if I need to add oil to the system. The specs say it takes 11 oz total for the system, and the compressor states that it came pre-charged with 6.8oz. I'm replacing the accumulator / dryer too, so I assume I should put the remaining amount in there, but do I go for the full 11 oz, or is there likely oil left sitting in other parts of the system?

'02 Tahoe 4wd, with rear ac. 311,000 miles.
Thanks!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be a little bit of oil in the lines, condenser, evaporator but not much. Add 4.2oz and youll be ok. Remember that when you have a leak that the system did not leak out just refrigerant. It leaked oil out too which is mixed with the refrigerant. Pour 2oz in your drier, 2oz in the line to your condenser and the .2oz in any of the other lines.

Dont forget to lube all orings with the oil BEFORE installing them. Since you have the system open replace all orings that you can get to. Its cheap (already paid for if your kit came with oring set) insurance.

sefiro

Reaction score
If the compressor blew, then the purge should have included a wash out, removing most of the oil along with material from connoisseur vanes.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General rule of thumb is 2 ozs for each component replaced. Dont overthink it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019