Oil temperature gauge via OBD2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone using one of the wireless OBD2 scanners can verify if you can read the oil temperature?

I am not entirely sure if our trucks have an oil temperature sensor or not as I just started researching this.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
So I found a company that sells an oil temperature gauge that reads from the canbus of the OBD2 port and it says it is compatible with 2008 and newer GM vehicles.

Here is a link:

http://www.speedhut.com/about-freedomgauges.html#canbus

Its pretty cool and not terribly expensive but if I can get the same info from a wireless OBD2 scanner via my phone then I would rather not have to drill a hole in my dash for a separate gauge.

Any thoughts???

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Update:

I received an email back, from the company that sells the gauge I posted the link for, confirming that there gauge will work for my truck. Here is what it said...

Ken,
Thank you for getting in touch with us here at Speedhut! Our Freedom series oil temperature gauge will work with your suburban. Please let me know if you have any other questions!
William Watson | Technical support
Email: [email protected]
www.speedhut.com

So with that being the case I guess it confirms that the oil temperature can be obtained via the Canbus/Obd2 port in 2008 and newer GM trucks.

Decisions, Decisions.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Oh before I forget....

I would like to think all of you who helped figure this out, don't know if I could have done it without you.... Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts