Operating Temperature - Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious how long it all takes your transmission to get up to temp in normal driving around town?

I have a 2017 Yukon XL Denali with the 8 speed and just this past week it popped a check eng light with codes P0700 and P0711 which I found is pretty much the temp fluid sensor on the trans harness inside the trans pan. I cleared the codes and have been keeping an eye on the trans temps now at stop lights and when I park it at home by tossing it in tow/haul mode real quick. My temps I don't think have ever been over 150 degrees on my gauge and wondering if this seems normal. Either way I'm taking it in tomorrow to have the fluid change on the trans done with the Mobil 1 LV HP fluid, replace the trans fluid temp sensor/harness assy, and to have them check the thermal bypass valve that the update one that opens at the lower temperature is installed.

OP
OP
Darkstar72

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting...dropped it off this morning for the trans service at the dealership and took out my Range AFM disabler while I had it in tow mode to check the trans temperature. I watched the gauge go from about 150 (maybe a shade over that) and jump to 175 the second I took out the disabler. Is it possible my Range AFM is messing with my trans fluid temp sensor reading? I hope not because I like having the Range AFM disabler in use when I drive the truck.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I have the range pulsar lt on my 2018 10 speed and mine takes about an hour or more to reach operating temp. It was the same before I installed the range, relatively slow getting up to temp. I briefly had the range afm disabler before the pulsar but I didn't have it long enough to notice any effects except turning off afm.

Jonmurphy

Reaction score
Just curious how long it all takes your transmission to get up to temp in normal driving around town?

I have a 2017 Yukon XL Denali with the 8 speed and just this past week it popped a check eng light with codes P0700 and P0711 which I found is pretty much the temp fluid sensor on the trans harness inside the trans pan. I cleared the codes and have been keeping an eye on the trans temps now at stop lights and when I park it at home by tossing it in tow/haul mode real quick. My temps I don't think have ever been over 150 degrees on my gauge and wondering if this seems normal. Either way I'm taking it in tomorrow to have the fluid change on the trans done with the Mobil 1 LV HP fluid, replace the trans fluid temp sensor/harness assy, and to have them check the thermal bypass valve that the update one that opens at the lower temperature is installed.
I haven't done it but I think you can just shorten the spring You surely will get a longer life transmission running way below 200 Hundred °Temp, and 145 would be great ..You can very cheaply put your own gauge on the trans. Murphy's law

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes mine in Houston weather about 30 minutes in traffic to reach my normal operating temp. I have the superior reprogram on the thermostat, Summer 140-150 degrees highway cruise temp, Winter 125 to 130 degrees highway cruise. The warmup time in winter on straight freeway driving is a bit longer.

In traffic, it will creep up to 160 get moving and it drops back down in 5 minutes.

On your CEL, I would go ahead and do a harness and sensor along with fluid and filter change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts