Oil leak. Not rear main

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one in his post has a M16 hole in the top.. scroll the Pic to the left.

the one at the summit link without it doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon right now and not when I looked. gotta go some place else or ict directly. but I wanted it the next day, so I got a no name one from Amazon. it's a pretty basic part so can't say it didn't seal even thou I still have a leak that's probably oil pan on mine but I'd trust the ict brand more.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2007 yukon denali 6.2 liter. Have an oil leak that isn't the rear main seal. Trying to figure out where it could be coming from. Oil drips off of the oil filter but the filter is tight. 2 pictures kind of show you where it's wet on drivers side. Thanks
How are you so certain that it is not the rear main seal? There is also a rear cover gasket that leaks, and it is just as hard to get to as the rear main. When I replaced mine, there was no way I could verify the rear main for certain. In fact, the rear cover gasket was leaking more than the rear main.

I would replace all the easy gaskets/seals such as the blockoff plate, oil pressure sensor, oil pan, etc. They're cheap and easy to do. Also, at that age, if they're not leaking yet, they probably will soon anyway. If it still leaks after doing those, then there's only one more thing to do.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing above the oil filter is sopping wet, that's the oil cooler block off plate like others have said. I would suggest looking and making sure that isn't the cause of the leak.

Also.. what in the world is this thing? Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a sponge that someone put in place to hide oil from dripping on the driveway?
Capture.PNG

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there’s no evidence of a leak *inside* the bell housing, we can generally rule out a rear main seal leak on these engines.
I could not see any evidence of my leak inside the bell housing. This is because it drained down the back of the engine. See post 112 here:

I'm not saying that yours is a rear main leak, but don't discount it either. Again, I would recommend doing the cheaper and easier stuff first.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing above the oil filter is sopping wet, that's the oil cooler block off plate like others have said. I would suggest looking and making sure that isn't the cause of the leak.

Also.. what in the world is this thing? Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a sponge that someone put in place to hide oil from dripping on the driveway?
View attachment 421944
Double gaskets?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double gaskets?
I did that once...... what a freakin mess, at least it all came out in the driveway (instantly) as I was backing out to take it around the block
that was a learning lesson, particularly becuase I was broke as a hell and could barely afford the oil I had just put in it.
That made it a habit to always double check.....

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that once...... what a freakin mess, at least it all came out in the driveway (instantly) as I was backing out to take it around the block
that was a learning lesson, particularly becuase I was broke as a hell and could barely afford the oil I had just put in it.
That made it a habit to always double check.....
Been there myself.

My time was I was supposed to be helping my wife with something in the house with the kids and I told her "oh, let me change the oil in your Yukon quick - it shouldn't take very long". Mind you this was about 8:00 in the evening. She is standing out in the driveway watching/supervising/fuming and I get in the vehicle and start it up to get the oil moving and I see the pressure gauge rise and then instantly drop and my wife is screaming that there is oil all over the driveway.

Sure enough, the old gasket had stuck to the pan and I didn't notice since I was in a hurry and didn't check. An hour later after having to drive 30 minutes to the closest open autozone to get oil and oil dry, I was done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts