Oil burn / pcv 2013 burban ltz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domer94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck runs smooth , doesn't blow any foul exhaust. but I have been adding oil every month or so. what type of check should I do with the pcv? is there a filter / valve like on the old vortecs? catch can system?

thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck runs smooth , doesn't blow any foul exhaust. but I have been adding oil every month or so. what type of check should I do with the pcv? is there a filter / valve like on the old vortecs? catch can system?

thanks

Being a '13, it should at least have the revised driver's side valve cover. I don't know what year they added the AFM pressure relief oil deflector, but that's another possible cause for oil consumption. There's an updated VLOM and AFM lifter design, but I believe those were to increase the reliability of the AFM system and have nothing to do with oil consumption. A catch can is highly recommended by anyone in the know. It doesn't stop the oil from leaving the engine, but it'll reduce what gets sucked into the intake manifold, which is what does the damage in the long run.

How much oil are you adding and at how many miles? Something like X quarts every X miles will help us better quantify it. X amount every month or so doesn't help much since you may drive a lot or a little during a month's time.

OP
OP
domer94

domer94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably a quart every 300-400 miles if I had to guess. I don't know what to check for to find the revised valve cover

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably a quart every 300-400 miles if I had to guess. I don't know what to check for to find the revised valve cover

Good lawd, that's a lot of oil! And you have no external leaks? The only way I know to check for the revised valve cover is to pull it off and look. Since this was a change made in 2010, I don't see why you wouldn't have it on your '13. Did this start suddenly?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a lot of oil to be losing.

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Are you seeing any spots in the floor/driveway?

Have you pulled any of your plugs and checked their condition? Are they covered in oil?

Any oily residue on the rear bumper?

If you put a paper towel in your hand and hold it near your tailpipe do you get any oil spatter on it?

Did this consumption level just start suddenly one day or had it been building up to this level of fluid loss?

OP
OP
domer94

domer94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no external leaks... I drop the oil myself so I always give a good looksee underneath. she has 67k on her. I don't notice any blue smoke , no splatter. I guess its been a gradual noticing. its hard for me to judge the milage since I don't have a regular commute. could be less than that... seems more when I do a lot of highway driving for a period of time

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would this have been resolved on the 2013? bulletin says up to 2011

Because the new valve cover was released sometime in 2010 so it should be on all 2011 and newer models. The valve cover was supposed to solve the excessive oil burning, which should stop the stuck ring issue that the excessive oil burning leads to, so they figure it shouldn't be a problem on anything '11 or newer.

Your case is more concerning since it's burning so much oil even though it's a '13 and should have the updated valve cover. Have you popped off the PCV hose where it goes into the IM to see if it's full of wet oil?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076