Off Roading with an automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never been off road in anything as heavy as my 2 door 4wd Yukon. I'm going to an off road park and as my vehicle is stock I won't be a hero. I'm betting with the G80 diff I'll be able to do most of it in 2wd. Should I lock it in 1 or 2 instead of using Drive? Mine has the push button 2 wheel high, 4 wheel high, or 4 wheel low. Thanks!

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start out with 4 wheel high and put it in drive. If you find that it doesn't leave 1st gear because you are going slow, manually select 1st to avoid up and down shifting when you let off the gas. If you find that something is too steep or you need to go very slow, then use 4 low.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably depends on the terrain and how fast you'll be going. 4HI is also what I where I would start. 4LO if you need extra traction or torque, but vehicle speed would be reduced significantly.

On the transmission, probably leave it on Drive. These transmission are programmed such that even selecting 1 or 2 manually, they'll shift if you go fast enough. I don't remember the speeds, but they'll upshift on their own. Maybe 25 mph on 1st gear? At least in 2LO they do that. But keeping it in 1 or 2 would still keep it from shifting on the lower RPM range so that may be helpful.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
totally depends on what you are doing
2wd is perfectly fine until it's not and that's just how it is, I can take a 2wd car in places that people think 4wd is needed.
you just kinda gotta use logic, fresh mud for instance is probably best approached with 4w hi, a very very steep slope maybe 4 lo
if your going balls out crazy pull the airbag fuse and pull the abs fuse, all you have to do is put them back when your done, no harm no foul.
the last thing you want to do is hit a rock in just the right spot and blow a airbag.....

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're in 4wd use 4lo regardless of terrain, but if you're in 2wd just use what gear feels comfortable. I would lock it into a gear to save on your transmission either way.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're in 4wd use 4lo regardless of terrain, but if you're in 2wd just use what gear feels comfortable. I would lock it into a gear to save on your transmission either way.
you don't need 4lo on "any" terrain and 4lo has a speed limit of like 35 max or somewhere around there, it's only to used as necessary
read the manual. it's just like I already mentioned above only when required

4Lo is meant to be used only on very rough terrain, such as thick mud, heavy snow, or fording a river. If you are wondering whether to use 4H or 4L for snow, you should use 4Lo in deep snow. When in 4Lo, you should never go above 40 mph. This setting will help you to get unstuck or climb a steep grade at low speed.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't need 4lo on "any" terrain and 4lo has a speed limit of like 35 max or somewhere around there, it's only to used as necessary
read the manual. it's just like I already mentioned above only when required

4Lo is meant to be used only on very rough terrain, such as thick mud, heavy snow, or fording a river. If you are wondering whether to use 4H or 4L for snow, you should use 4Lo in deep snow. When in 4Lo, you should never go above 40 mph. This setting will help you to get unstuck or climb a steep grade at low speed.
You don't necessarily need it, but it is much easier on your transmission. If you are offroading and in a situation where you need 4wd (which is when i specified to use 4lo - "read my post") you are not going to get anywhere near 40mph. You likely won't see 10mph in that situation.

I have years of heavy off roading experience. I'm not just pulling this out of nowhere.

Man, I do not understand where the mentality of "I've read the manual and have the ultimate knowledge - get it right, loser!" comes from. I could understand saying "hey, not sure if you have a reason for recommending something different but so you know the manual says don't use 4lo over 35mph. Would be interested to hear your reasoning.", but "Read the manual."... Come on man, have a discussion. We're all here because none of us are the foremost authority and there's always someone with greater experience. Let's talk like adults and learn from one another.

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4LO has like a lower gear reduction iirc (at least most of the 2 speed transfer cases GM was using in this generation).

Looks like for the NP246 2.72:1 for LO gear, but can't find anything for HI gear (is it just 1:1 maybe?)

So 1st gear with a 4L60E and 3.73 will give the final overall ratios, as an example:

4HI: 3.06 x 3.73 x 1.0 = 11.41
4LO: 3.06 x 3.73 x 2.72 = 31.0

So that will obviously make for more torque to the wheels and why the speed is drastically reduced. I would also say that helps the transmission drivetrain in low speed use.
I think the manual warms about trying to get out if your wheels don't spin and are stuck. I remember reading about that on the owner's manual. Transmission damage may occur?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need it, but it is much easier on your transmission. If you are offroading and in a situation where you need 4wd (which is when i specified to use 4lo - "read my post") you are not going to get anywhere near 40mph. You likely won't see 10mph in that situation.

I have years of heavy off roading experience. I'm not just pulling this out of nowhere.

Man, I do not understand where the mentality of "I've read the manual and have the ultimate knowledge - get it right, loser!" comes from. I could understand saying "hey, not sure if you have a reason for recommending something different but so you know the manual says don't use 4lo over 35mph. Would be interested to hear your reasoning.", but "Read the manual."... Come on man, have a discussion. We're all here because none of us are the foremost authority and there's always someone with greater experience. Let's talk like adults and learn from one another.
your statement of leaving it in 4lo comes off as sounding like someone that has "maybe" been off road, barely. not someone with years of "heavy" off roading, you should know well it completely depends on the terrain and circumstance. Besides I don't think there going to be attempting to crawl rocks on there first trip to a off road park with a stock rig, it will most likely be a learning experience which will be where you get to "find out" if you should use 2wd/4wd/4lo given the particular circumstance.
I would never tell someone ya just use 4lo all the time off road, no.......... because it completely depends on if it is wet, dry, ice, snow, rocks, sand, mud, small hill, big hill, giant hill, downhill etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts