Off Road mod for desert utility roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 LS 4x4. I am moving to South America, and want to modify the vehicle for off road use. I am an avid surfer and plan on doing extensive driving on utility roads in desert, semi rugged conditions. I am familiar with basic mods, but am looking for advice. Prefer to keep total cost below 6g's. My idea is suspension, lighting, bumpers, winch, and gps. Will not be doing the work myself, currently located in Jax Fla.

Any help greatly appreciated.

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
If you are not doing hard core off-roading, I would skip lifting the truck, too many other things may need to change, i.e. steering components, drive shafts and tires.

First thing I would do is add a second battery. Wrangler NW has an excellent dual battery kit that allows you to charge both batteries separately, as well as jump one battery from the other. Second, if you get a winch bumper, get one with light tabs, so you can install a set of Hella 4000's, which will give you plenty of light off road. If you get a winch, you need to get one that is 1.5 times the weight of the truck loaded.

If you will be driving on a beach, a set of tire deflators and a PowerTank C02 system to be able to re-inflate your tires. For your winch, a Pull-Pal will be a great anchor point to pull yourself off the beach where there will be no trees available.

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search for 02TahoeMD's pictures and mods he did on his truck.

I believe he has a cardomain page for it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev

Latest posts