OEM Navigation for 2008 Tahoe LTZ w/Bose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sultan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Folks... you first have to excuse my ignorance but I just added the forum. I was wondering if anyone can help/advise me with regards to installing the OEM Navigation to my Chevy Tahoe LTZ 2008. I have a Bose sound system, with a 6 indash CD changer.

I have been told that there are some things I have to look out for while upgrading the sound system. I have also been told that the dealership could do it for around $2500 USD !!!!

Can I also install a rear view cam? Any advise would be highly appreciated folks.

Regards,
SS

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks... you first have to excuse my ignorance but I just added the forum. I was wondering if anyone can help/advise me with regards to installing the OEM Navigation to my Chevy Tahoe LTZ 2008. I have a Bose sound system, with a 6 indash CD changer.

I have been told that there are some things I have to look out for while upgrading the sound system. I have also been told that the dealership could do it for around $2500 USD !!!!

Can I also install a rear view cam? Any advise would be highly appreciated folks.

Regards,
SS

I have your exact vehicle and had the bose with 6 disc but I ended up getting an aftermarket screen with a rear cam in the same factory location so I know you can definitely install a rear cam. I also know the applique piece with the chevy bow tie in the rear has to be a different one which consists of a housing that holds the rear cam.

OP
OP
S

sultan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Felix..thanks for the reply on my question earlier this week. I am new to the forum and I recently bought the Tahoe and was looking to upgrade it.... It was a bargain deal so thats why I took it, or else i would have opted for a factory fitted rear view camera and navigation, but it would have set me back another $25000 or so....

I just wanted to know why you did not opt for the OEM navigation? Is there any reason why you would get an aftermarket product? Did it fit smoothly into the area?
My only concern is that if I get an aftermarket product, then my steering controls and rear center console controls will stop working.

Appreciate your help bro..

Regards,
SAL

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only real reason to have the oem nav is if the truck came with it. It really isn't very good ... for one it is dvd navigation and the incessant whining sounds like a 98 Gateway booting up, update nav discs go for $180, and it's stupid expensive for an average (at best) nav unit that you can't upload into or get downloaded updates to either the os or poi. So if you're not stuck with one there's no reason to get one. I'm not familiar with brands and their features, but I know that the rear view cam isn't a problem (you can also get the mirror one installed), and the steering wheel controls work.

Actually, many folks who buy used Hoes/Yuks will only buy them without the factory nav just so they can have a decent one for less ... AND, no need to pay even extra to lockpick them. :waytogo:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have n 08 LTZ with Nav. Save your money and go aftermarket. The OEM NAV is a pain in the ass, slow, and very generic looking. If it didn't come with the vehicle and integrate the entire media, onstar, dvd, etc into it, we would have ditched it.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Felix..thanks for the reply on my question earlier this week. I am new to the forum and I recently bought the Tahoe and was looking to upgrade it.... It was a bargain deal so thats why I took it, or else i would have opted for a factory fitted rear view camera and navigation, but it would have set me back another $25000 or so....

I just wanted to know why you did not opt for the OEM navigation? Is there any reason why you would get an aftermarket product? Did it fit smoothly into the area?
My only concern is that if I get an aftermarket product, then my steering controls and rear center console controls will stop working.

Appreciate your help bro..

Regards,
SAL

The OEM Nav is not that great... it's also a 6.5" screen. The AVIC-Z110BT (z120/z130 also) is a 7" screen. It is also fitted with a double din in-dash kit that makes it look factory. I've actually had several people ask if it was the factory screen because the Pioneer logo is very small and on the top of the screen only and the rest is black and very sleek looking. The PAC-OS4 and PAC-SWI-PS adapters I got for it makes my Bose/Onstar work along with my steering wheel controls. the rear center console controls (which I also have) are not affected by any of that. If you are in the market for a great screen, the flagship pioneer screen I have is a great one with a very nice apple-esque user interface. If you are looking for a NAV screen (pioneer avic screen's have nav but they are not top notch by any means), go with the flagship Kenwood DNX9980HD. It uses Garmin's NAV app so it's literally like having a handheld built into your car. Had this screen come out before I got my avic z110, I would of definitely opted for this. But it's 1800 at amazon so it'll put a dent in your pocketboot where I got the avic for less then a thousand. Hope that helps.

Check out the kenwood at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-eXcelon-Double-DIN-Navigation-System/dp/B004V3CZXW

Here is the new updated version of my screen on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-Z130BT-Navigation-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B004HW6F8S

pnap88p

Reaction score
i am looking to upgrade my radio as well to an added navigation. i previousllly had a pioneer in my trailblazer that worked out pretty well for about 2 years.

TdiDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The OEM Nav is not that great... it's also a 6.5" screen. The AVIC-Z110BT (z120/z130 also) is a 7" screen. It is also fitted with a double din in-dash kit that makes it look factory. I've actually had several people ask if it was the factory screen because the Pioneer logo is very small and on the top of the screen only and the rest is black and very sleek looking. The PAC-OS4 and PAC-SWI-PS adapters I got for it makes my Bose/Onstar work along with my steering wheel controls. the rear center console controls (which I also have) are not affected by any of that. If you are in the market for a great screen, the flagship pioneer screen I have is a great one with a very nice apple-esque user interface. If you are looking for a NAV screen (pioneer avic screen's have nav but they are not top notch by any means), go with the flagship Kenwood DNX9980HD. It uses Garmin's NAV app so it's literally like having a handheld built into your car. Had this screen come out before I got my avic z110, I would of definitely opted for this. But it's 1800 at amazon so it'll put a dent in your pocketboot where I got the avic for less then a thousand. Hope that helps.

Check out the kenwood at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-eXcelon-Double-DIN-Navigation-System/dp/B004V3CZXW

Here is the new updated version of my screen on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-Z130BT-Navigation-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B004HW6F8S

Do you retain the factory backup camera with these PAC kits ?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the avic z110bt I had a pioneer rear back up cam. I'm pretty sure it's possible to use a factory rear cam though.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I have a factory unit for sale if youre interested. Has everything, antenna, VSS harness, Disc, Etc.

I dont use the factory Nav for the nav, I use my phone for that. I just got sick of having an aftermarket - out of place unit in my vehicle that constantly begs to get stolen. (has happened to me twice.) Factory unit you typically dont have to worry as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMEMAC33