OEM HID Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuxedoblack11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just want to start a poll on how many people would actually want the OEM HID heads on their halogen trucks?

I see a lot of bi-halogen projectors on the road and it sickens me, lol!

smittydog

Reaction score
I would like factory kit. I have the Retrofit crap on mine. After two months, one side has crapped out already. They still haven't fixed issue.

I drive about 300 miles after dark on weekends and I need good lighting.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, If you buy a genuine Phillips kit, you will never have a problem. I have three of them, and the oldest kit is 6 years old. Not a single problem.

TheAgency

Reaction score
Malouf GMC has a very comprehensive online parts department with many of the exploded diagrams. I too wondered about the feasibility of dropping in the Denali HID parts if it were easy and cost-effective but I quickly found that not to be the case.

I think the Denali is awesome, but I had my own motivations for the SLT. Honestly, if you want these extra features, buy the Denali in the first place.

An OEM Denali setup would require new Headlamp housings at $1,250 a piece (somehow different than Halogen models), $225 for each ballast, $250 for each bulb. Plus who knows what else comes up, not worth the $3,500 experiment. Like I said, trade 'er in if it really means that much to you.

Personally I'm looking at the Retrofit source for genuine Philips lamps (~$215) and a high end ballast.

Attachments

• CaptureHID1.jpg
    CaptureHID1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
T

tuxedoblack11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very good point but the lights would be only a fraction of that cost stated above. Plus they would be complete housings!

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, If you buy a genuine Phillips kit, you will never have a problem. I have three of them, and the oldest kit is 6 years old. Not a single problem.

x2. That Morimoto stuff that TRS sells is rebranded Chinese garbage that they stand behind. Still doesn't change the fact you'll have to get it warrantied out 500 times and go through the whole exchange headache.

OP
OP
T

tuxedoblack11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
x2. That Morimoto stuff that TRS sells is rebranded Chinese garbage that they stand behind. Still doesn't change the fact you'll have to get it warrantied out 500 times and go through the whole exchange headache.

Sadly to say, yes it all is, I prefer Osram or philips before any of their ballasts or bulbs. Hence why I try to sell all OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84