OEM Clone Headlight HID/Projector Retrofit Project [video update]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[yt]sWsDhdnb-70[/yt]

-----------------------------------------------

Much of what has led to this point/thread is outlined in this thread: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27131 Long story short, below is the developing story of aftermarket oem housings' quad bi-xenon projector retrofit and associated accessories.

However that thread was originally dedicated to a now obsolete/redundant set of housings that sumo and I contemplated, so I thought a clean start would be helpful, with an accurate thread title ... so I copied my last post from there to here.

Hoever I suggest that anyone wishing to be 'looped in' read that thread for many of the details are relevant. :waytogo:

----------------------------------------

Okay so a little update on my install.

Drove from DC to Richmond yesterday to meet up at the installers' shop, got there around 10:30am. Got almost everything done but the final fitting. Turns out this is very detailed and very time consuming work, especially to get the proportions and the angles perfect.

First thing was to remove the pos ballasts and wiring to my angel eye housings and do the proper install of the 4 new morimoto mini ballasts, ground, and all associated wiring. Then we started on the retro ...

The inner housings are the most difficult, because to get them right (near the edge of the chrome lip so that they're not up against the housing lens) their sides have to be trimmed away and a one inch square hole has to be cut from the vertical aluminum beam behind the housings so that the back of the projector can recede into it. When all that is done the work of lining them up right inside the housings begins, again this takes a while to get right with the step beams. In the end, when both the fitting and the angles are right, the inners got their final JB weld (about $100 worth by the time all is done).

We took a break from the retro and dealt with the now failed experiment of my aftermarket tails. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29576 Problem was that we waisted over an hour on these that we could have spent on the retrofitting ... but anyway, it is what it is.

Time by now was running short, the last thing was the fitting of the outer projectors. Other than the same precise light beam alignment as the inners, this fitting was a lot simpler. The projectors needed no trimming and we cleared the frame in back of the projector by a whopping 2mm. lol

That's when I resentfully slapped back the angel eyes and drove back to DC in freakin' sunday beach traffic. :whymewhyme:

But the hardest part, and the part that required me to be at the shop, is now done. This week he's gonna install the shrouds, either the gattlings if they work or the custom ones he has designed, and then he'll just seal the housings and the retro is finished.

It looks like he'll be driving up next saturday to put them in. At that time he'll also install the blinkers and drls which are as we speak in transit to me. Wire/connect everything up and that will be it. :)

On a side note, I think we came up with a pretty neat idea on the drl and blinker situation. What we decided is the following. Both the lower leds of each housing will be switchbacks. During the day both will light up as drls and both will switchback to blinkers. At night both will be off and will act only as blinkers leaving a clean look of the quads.

Phew, update complete. :)

A few random pics from the day can be found in the album below, apologies for the grainy iPad pics but the light was down most of the day for beam alignment.

http://gallery.me.com/soulsea#100050&bgcolor=black&view=grid

--------------------------- UPDATE ------------------------

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

-----------------UPDATE 2 --------------------

The truck is dirty and theSE pics are not that good ... I got her washed and posted more pics in this album: http://gallery.me.com/soulsea#100056&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=8

Here's a few:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice update...how are you going to finish off the housings? leaving them chrome or doing something similar to sumo?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice update...how are you going to finish off the housings? leaving them chrome or doing something similar to sumo?

Hi ITD,

No I'm going to leave mine chrome, basically other than the shrouds and the projectors, everything stays oem.

Whereas sumo's truck motif matches the black housings, as you can see mine has a lot more chrome ... hence the oem look.

Plus we can't all be doing the same thing. :)

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serge, im really digging the chrome stock look. Hell, I'd be inclined to do this for just the lowbeams as well. Looks really clean and you aren't really "drawn" into it unless you know what you are looking for. Love it brother!

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serge, im really digging the chrome stock look. Hell, I'd be inclined to do this for just the lowbeams as well. Looks really clean and you aren't really "drawn" into it unless you know what you are looking for. Love it brother!

Thanks bud.

Here's what it looks like with just the lows on a oem clone housing (different shrouds than mine, but I believe same as sumo's in chrome):

attachment.jpg

Doing just the lows, for the reasons mentioned in the OP, is a lot simpler. No cutting of anything is required.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that and it would look better without the orange reflector.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that and it would look better without the orange reflector.

I agree, but I need it to pass inspection and don't feel like getting crap from a cop with nothing better to do. Plus in my case, as the whole idea is to keep the stock look, I really don't mind it.

I know sumo blacked his out ... but he works at a shop that does inspections. :)

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like that chrome look as well... Looks nice a clean. Looking fwd to seeing the finished result. Didnt read your initial post fully, but does it provide the diam shrouds/projector/etc needed?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks BG,

I don't have the exact install measurements and I am unlikely to get the exact ones ... the install guys are quite guarded about their process.

But I can tell you this much ... in order not to run into shroud size issues and to make the projectors sit correctly, one has to cut a little piece of the vertical beam to recede the back of the inner projector into it. Otherwise not only the front of the projector will sit too close to the plastic lens of the housing, but it will look too much ahead of the outer projector.

There are a few variables at play depending on which projectors/ballasts/shrouds/ and willingness to cut to fit at play. One thing is for sure, whatever shrouds one goes with they have to be round all the way through to their end and cannot be asymmetrical. The reason being that there's a difference is shroud depth needed between the inner and the outer. The inner shroud, if the projector is recessed properly, will be mostly cut away as you need very little to cover it. The outer shroud however needs to be much deeper because it sticks out much more so that the profile of both projectors lines up properly in the housing. Keeping that in mind and that obviously both shrouds must be the same model, you need a shroud that is long enough whilst keeping its rounded shape for the outers. Btw, the rounded shape doesn't remain that way on the outers by the time the shroud is installed. It just needs to begin that way so that one can cut away the parts of the shroud that need to go for it to fit properly, something that is almost impossible to do with asymmetrical shrouds.

I can't imagine any of that made sense. :)

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it actually made sense... If you dont mind, will you post or PM the cost of the retrofit minus the HIDs? Thanks man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnQSmith