NP246 Rebuild - Experiences? Clutches necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If it operates proper and looks good when you open it up, leave the clutch pack alone and just do the other parts.

This is exactly what I would do (have done on other vehicles) using parts from a source you trust. Sorry, I don’t have a vendor to recommend because it’s been a few years and vendors supply chains change all the time. These days buying low quality Chinese parts that will not last is a real problem.

If downtime is a constraint, I’d go the other direction and get a reman with a good warranty. Or a low mileage takeoff from a recycling yard.

I’ve seen some $700 remans on Amazon. Too cheap IMO to be trustworthy. I don’t see how the supplier can be using quality parts and paying qualified personnel at that price point. I think that buys you Chinese cheap parts and third world labor.

OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my parts from All State Gear and all of the bearings are Nachi and made in Japan. I've never had an issue with Nachi bearings. I believe I have Nachi bearings on my rear wheels, actually.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another thread, I replaced my clutches and didn't use the tool. I even upgraded the clutches. In my opinion Raybestos GPZ clutches are better than factory... I just measured the old clutch pack, and compared it to the new one. If not you can shim accordingly.

FYI ~ I have a second NP246 on my shelf, if you need any hard parts let me know. I need to get it out of my garage. Unfortunately on that one the clutch pack was originally shimmed wrong so I cannot get away with not using the tool.

That said, likely your clutch pack has virtually no where and would be no issue reusing it. Additionally, BE CAREFUL OF CHIP $HIT china parts. They're rampant. I think I have parts numbers in my post.

Hardest part is dropping the tx-case. I manhandled mine down, it's not too heavy but def don't want it to fall on your face. Rebuilding it is fairly trivial otherwise.

I have a separate thread on my rebuild linked below:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700