Not Sure If Your Rear Main Seal Is Leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have oil dripping off all these spots under your Truck your rear main or rear main plate is probably leaking.DSCF4022.JPG DSCF4026.JPG DSCF4028.JPG

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup
Been there.
It can also be the oil pressure sensor (less seldom) which is at the top rear of the block.

Oil looks fresh though. And oilpan and bellhousing and bolts look very clean.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy timing. Here's mine this weekend after blasting it clean with brake cleaner. Started it up and saw this: (It's either rear main seal/cover or I did a bad job on the oil pan gasket or BOTH) Thoughts? All new stuff within a year: Oil Pressure Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Oil Pan Gasket, Valley cover Gasket, new Blockoff Plate.

IMG_20210508_110643.jpg IMG_20210508_110622.jpg IMG_20210508_110608.jpg IMG_20210508_110601.jpg

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replaced the oil pan gasket and it still leaks, then consider the RMS. Don't go doing a RMS before replacing (properly) the oil pan gasket.

And when you do replace the oil pan gasket, you need to put sufficient dabs of RTV at all 4 corners front and back where the block has splits. If you don't, it'll leak. Stupid design, frankly, to have a pan gasket seal over a split surface. Absolute dumbassery. Lots of people don't do that RTV part right.

When you do replace the RMS, you can fix the RTV from the top of the installed oil pan and seal it up again (you have to, anyway).

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your aftermarket block-off plate. The leaking of these engines in one of the most annoying issues. Your way ahead of me with all that you have replaced so far.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a shop replace the oil pan gasket a couple years ago and still had a small drip. During lockdown, I pulled the oil pan to look for sludge as I replaced my Castech heads so I put a new gasket on then. The leak has gone from a few drops to totally soaking cardboard underneath it after a drive or two. I could always do the gasket again as it's fairly easy with 2WD. I'm really sick of it though so I'm about to go drastic and have a dealer look at it. I've got a SacCity Vette barbell to go in when it gets pulled, too.

EDIT: Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just looking for opinions as well, our's looks pretty much the same as far as where the leak shows up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSCF4058.JPG
I had a shop replace the oil pan gasket a couple years ago and still had a small drip. During lockdown, I pulled the oil pan to look for sludge as I replaced my Castech heads so I put a new gasket on then. The leak has gone from a few drops to totally soaking cardboard underneath it after a drive or two. I could always do the gasket again as it's fairly easy with 2WD. I'm really sick of it though so I'm about to go drastic and have a dealer look at it. I've got a SacCity Vette barbell to go in when it gets pulled, too.

EDIT: Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just looking for opinions as well, our's looks pretty much the same as far as where the leak shows up.
Sounds like mine exactly I get my cardboard from Costco and it comes in handy for cleaning parts too. I will be doing the oil pan this week but I already know that's not it. It leaks for hours after you turn the engine off and the oil is not over the top of the oil pan when the engine is not running.

Last edited:

Greg Kulbick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just under our Tahoe Friday night trying to clean up under there and pinpoint where the oil is coming from. I think the block off plate is fine. I didn't see much of anything when looking through the hole in the bellhousing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed its just the pan gasket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA