North to Alaska

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been anywhere that cold

thin oil: 5/30
I think their is an additive the diesel guys run in the antifreeze that helps, that and I'd get a cover like the big rigs run in the winter to keepo the temp of the motor up.

Stay warm

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read....

that synthetic oils are better in cold weather than conventional. With an older truck u might not want to go full synthetic but a synthetic blend instead.

Also check the cold cranking amps on your battery.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
electric fans would do you wonders up there. So then your fans aren't on when you start the truck and only come on when you want it to. This way everything heats up faster.

lol at the seat warmers, probably would be a good choice tho! heated steering wheel?

faze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go the synthetic route for oil and you definately need to heat the oil because a block heater won't help with the oil; most of your engine wear will occur waiting for that oil to warm up.

You may have a factory block heater already...if it's never been used it'll be hanging near the driver side front upper control arm mount...I'd go with two block heaters.

The most important thing is something mentioned earlier in the thread...you need a serious safety kit in case you get stranded somewhere...burning candles for heat can be the difference between life and death.

I lived in Edmonton as a kid and we got a few -40F weeks...they closed the schools because they didn't want kids walking around outside.

rsb907

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey man im in the army stationed in anchorage, alaska. i bought my tahoe last winter and it did fine. it has heated seats, remote start. i just got it serviced other day and had coolant test. test to be good to -60 degrees. i run synthetic oil and bought a good battery (optima red top). might as well have the best. make sure all your heater components work. im having problems now with front heat not warming up only rear heat. best of luck to you. alaska isnt too bad.