Noisy IAC, No start; fuel, IAC, or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
I had a weird no-start issue once and this tutorial helped me to find a coil wire that was grounding out on a bracket.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_misfire_diagnostic/ignition_misfire_tests_1.php

Noisy IAC is strange though.

Before starting ignition testing, I like to verify that fuel pressure is within range. (Either through the Schrader valve pressure test, or by using some starting fluid directly into the throttle body to see if things change.)

Good Luck though ******.sixty9

Took off cap and rotor, both were dirty; cleaned points with a Dremel wire wheel. Fired right up multiple times, told girl she can drive the truck to work the following day. Comes back in in the morning and wakes to tell me it's once again doing the same thing.

Still 100% random... :emotions133:

Does not seem starter or short related. Itll either fire right up, or turn and turn then kick back, or turn and immediate kick back. Never just turns, turns, then starts. Pretty much can immediately tell if it will run or not.

I do need to check FP tho. Cant find my damned gauge... Going to have to rent for now.

Spark testing would be difficult due to the randomness. Already changed coil to my Tahoe and it's been running great for 4 days now. Ive pulled the bracket fairly far away from the coil wire when doing the coil change. If that had been an issue, I cant imagine it would be the problem now. Ill take a visual just to sure and maybe even change them between vehicles.

Maybe I should try the IAC; cant imagine it would cause this hell, but never know I suppose.

Really appreciate the help

0ytpy07

Last edited:

hourang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sounds like something is stopping the starter from spinning. usually the starter is on a separate circuit from most sensors. This seems like an issue with the ignition switch, ground/wiring issue, starter itself, maybe even neutral safety switch. this is what i would check:
-check battery cables for corrosion, make sure they are really clean and tight.
-check ground to engine
-check wiring to starter
-run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter directly with the key in the on position. this will rule out whether it is a bad switch, solenoid, etc.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
sounds like something is stopping the starter from spinning. usually the starter is on a separate circuit from most sensors. This seems like an issue with the ignition switch, ground/wiring issue, starter itself, maybe even neutral safety switch. this is what i would check:
-check battery cables for corrosion, make sure they are really clean and tight.
-check ground to engine
-check wiring to starter
-run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter directly with the key in the on position. this will rule out whether it is a bad switch, solenoid, etc.

Im still not convinced its the starter because there are times it turns and turns and turns, but the truck never runs. Its either instant start, or nothing.

On the battery one point was a little loose and both were dirty. All good to go with same result.

what bracket?

The one that goes over the pass side of the distro. Holds a wire loom in the rear and bolts to the rear of the head (i think) and to the upper plenum with the coil. Obviously put there by the worlds biggest *******.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Finally got fuel pressure tester. Battery to weak to really turn it over but enough to get fuel pressure.
First prime immediately gets 63+/- PSI and stayed after attempting to to start truck.
Again tho, the issue had been random, so whose to say this time it could have been a start scenario.
Will test again when batt is charged.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
with that pressure it would seem that you have not pump issues. a damaged relay could slow down pressure build up but yours sound like either of those is a none issue. i would test the iac while it is out and inspect its behavior and possible try a used icm/coil if possible to see if you have thermal issues with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts