Noisy IAC, No start; fuel, IAC, or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
GF's 99 Yukon has been developing a no start issue. Not sure if it's low on fuel (gauge issue, another thread) or if there is an actual issue. It does have a code for one of the CATs and idle's a bit off.

One time I actually showed up with a gas can and it fired right up, another time (after she went to work and took my Hoe) it simply just fired up. Took it to get gas just in case. Did fine a few days until today, once again it did not start. She did state, going by her word, that it seemed that the starter engage and disengage was delayed. Not sure if related or even a fair explanation. But what I did notice the other times I was around and it did not start, was an incredibly noisy IAC. Now this I could imagine to be related. It does stop before cranking, but there is a very noticeable spin click click spin (on and off key cycle).

Ideas? Input?

Videos:
Start and shudder start;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRNbugWLztQ&feature=youtu.be

IAC noise, no start, and putter; with fuel pressure;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XKROSdw68&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
It may be worse than I thought. Motor comes to an abrupt halt, shudder and shunts when cranking. Sometimes complete stops then continues cranking. Then runs...
Even had a shunt/shudder after what I think to actually be a running motor. Almost seems like a total lockup. Very crazy acting.
Thoughts?

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad starter.. ignition switch... Also might want to start with checking the battery connections make sure those are nice and tight

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad starter.. ignition switch... Also might want to start with checking the battery connections make sure those are nice and tight

One terminal was a hair loose, but didnt help. Starter is the suposed gold edition with lifetime warranty (about a year old now). How could I diag?

Reaction score
One quick way is when it starts acting up see if you can smake it with a hammer as someone is turning the key over in the start position.. and since it was replaced about a year ago make sure thr connections at the starter are also nice and tight

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
One quick way is when it starts acting up see if you can smake it with a hammer as someone is turning the key over in the start position.. and since it was replaced about a year ago make sure thr connections at the starter are also nice and tight

Hammer trick is if its binded. Dont think it will work cause it is intermittent. Im going to check the lines as you said, if tight then Im gonna return and get new.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
it looks as if you have a electrical power issues.

Do you mean within the starter or elsewhere?

Truck has been working fine since my last post; cept for the last three or so days. What I dont understand is that its already turned over enough times to actually run. Instead it may putter, spark here and there, or simply keep jumping with the starter.

As about 20 minutes ago, it fires right up. I dont even get two rotations. Just as I normally would.

Could the starter be causing all this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667