Noise from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBandit18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I drove home from vacation yesterday and the car started making this ticking noise and can't figure out where it is coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
T

TheBandit18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Vehicle idles rough, no engine code, fuel smell in engine compartment. Sounds like it's coming from around the intake.

OP
OP
T

TheBandit18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do my own oil changes every 5000-6000 miles. I pulled the valve cover off and all the rockers arms are solid no play like a lifter collapsed. Wouldn't a lifter tick be twice as fast as this sound?

Hitman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same noise on my 15 Yukon 6.2l. 100k miles. religious oil changes and maintenance.

Lifter #8 failed, non dod. Had to take engine down to block and replace all lifters, cam etc. Had to drop the oil pan power steering rack and front diff.

Job wasn't hard just allot of bolts and steps to ensure all gets put back.

Make sure your spark plug wires are all seated properly and not loose. I read many other posts it was a wire issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You can have a noisy lifter and still be tight when you grab the rocker but under full load, the noise is there. A mechanic's stethoscope would sure help pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Whatever the noise is, please post back here what the findings are and the results of the repair. By the way, you said 5k to 6k miles between oil changes, what oil and what filter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper