No crank - 96 POS Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
First, the truck has always taken quite awhile to start but never had an issue cranking. Ive ran the batt dead a couple of times due to it being very hard to start with low fuel. So I ran the batt dead the previous Friday, charged it, all good. Did the same last Friday, charged, does not crank...

It had a weak turn about out of 100 tries. Decided to get batt from the unused Yukon, put the quick charger on it, had 3 weak turns right in a row. Decided to leave the quick charge on it for a few. Now it's doing exactly as it did before... nothing.

Radio stops, gauges respond, but starter does not.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
have you tested its starting relay and crank fuse?

Cant remember what all fuses I checked, but all that I could find that had anything to do with ignition was checked; inside and under hood. Also, if it were fuses, would it not be permanent issue rather than the every so often turn over?

I don't know how to test relays, but I did change the relay between the A/C and starter; no change.

Batt charged all night. First try, nothing. Second try, fired right up. Went to gas station, got gas, fired right up. Now Im at work, so lets hope I can get home...

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Bad starter solenoid contactor perhaps? Or some funky connection somewhere. How about ohming your wiring?

Been working great the last two days. Now I'm stuck at work. I found a relay under the dash that clicks really loud when I turn to crank position. Could this relay be an issue and wtf relay is it.

Not my pic but its the one just left of the flasher relay.

picture.jpg

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Uh, Drl relay but by design of the system I don't think it should click on or off when going from run to start and back to run again. Only when the head switch is operating the lamps. Any chance that load click you may be hearing from the starter relay thru the firewall? Since you are 2wd it can not be the tccm as it not installed.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Uh, Drl relay but by design of the system I don't think it should click on or off when going from run to start and back to run again. Only when the head switch is operating the lamps. Any chance that load click you may be hearing from the starter relay thru the firewall? Since you are 2wd it can not be the tccm as it not installed.

Deff nothing else. I can actually pull that relay and the clicking stops. That's not to say the starter relay doesn't click; it does.

Strange that would be DRL cause the truck never had them/worked.

Im going to replace the starter today and hope like hell thats the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667