NIVOMAT Shock Replacement Input Needed.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've actually been researching this all day.

I want to get away from the Nivomats anyway.

I spoke to Bilstein tech and got the correct part #'s for the 5100 series shocks and the replacement rear springs. This is for my wife's bone stock Yukon - not lifted, no keys, etc. These shocks do allow a little lift from stock as you can see in the descriptions, but they are also fine for stock height trucks as well.

Front Shock
Part Number: 24-186643
Series: 5100 Series
Position: Front
Descriptor: Excludes Police Package
Descriptor: Excludes Z55 Autoride Suspension Package
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: 0-2.5"
Descriptor: Torsion Key Lift
*Collapsed Length (IN): 12.54
*Extended Length (IN): 16.3
*Collapsed Length (MM): 318.5
*Extended Length (MM): 414
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-C153-H0

Rear Shock
Part Number: 24-187237
Series: 5100 Series
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Excludes Police Package
Descriptor: Excludes Z55 Autoride Suspension Package
Descriptor: If vehicle is equipped with ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Nivomat Suspension you must
purchase Bilstein spring part number 199021 in addition to the damper
Descriptor: Rear Lifted Height: 0-1"
Descriptor: Rear Lifted Height: 5" if using rear stock shock relocation bracket
*Collapsed Length (IN): 15.55
*Extended Length (IN): 24.33
*Collapsed Length (MM): 395
*Extended Length (MM): 618
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-F265-H0

Rear Springs
Part Number: 199021
Series: B3 (OEM Replacement Springs)
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Can be used in conjunction with appropriate Bilstein shock to convert air leveling
(Nivomat) vehicles to standard suspension
Descriptor: Except Electronic Adjustable Suspension

The springs are showing near $90 each on some sites, but I found them at mudflaps . com for $47 each. I called to confirm they had them in stock ready to ship and they did. So I ordered the above shocks and springs.

Should have them in about 4-5 days and I'll be sure and post followup when I get them on. Too many threads just end and leave you hanging when people don't reply back and makes it very difficult for others following their same path.

Awesome information, thank you.

jberrios

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anybody post pictures of there before and after on the ride height looking into buying the same set up for my tahoe

HighvoltageDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting this setup, my only question is how it does for towing. I have a trailer and will be getting a boat this winter for next season. I looked at putting an air lift kit in but I am not sure which kit will work with this conversion. I am going to contact air lift today and see what they say.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting this setup, my only question is how it does for towing. I have a trailer and will be getting a boat this winter for next season. I looked at putting an air lift kit in but I am not sure which kit will work with this conversion. I am going to contact air lift today and see what they say.

Should be just like towing with a normal Tahoe. It will squat lol. They make helper bags that fit inside the coil springs that would be a good option if you tow stuff with a high tongue weight.

HighvoltageDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spoke with a tech at airlift and was told that there systems are vehicle specific, which I knew. He said that I need to get the bilstein 199021 coils in and then measure the height and diameter with the truck sitting in a settled position. Then he would be able to match something up.

So if someone already has this setup, would you be able to take some measurements for me, please

I really don't want to install these and then have to take them out to install the helper bags.

Thanks everyone.

Sector17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Late to the convo, but just thought I'd share my experience.

I just replaced the Nivomats (ZW7) on my 2002 Yukon yesterday. I'd say I lost at least 2 inches on the rear end height. I replaced the Nivomats with a set of Monroe Reflex Monotubes. I'm pretty disappointed in the overall appearance of the vehicle, and frankly, I can't tell much of a difference in the ride. My Yukon has almost 200k on it, so I assumed there was no way the Nivomats were still working, but I don't know how to test that assumption. Now that they're off the vehicle, is there any way to tell if they're toast? I can't compress them with my bare hands.

I'm now considering taking the Monroe Reflex Monotubes off and buying the AC Delco Self-Leveling shocks off of Amazon. I guess the other option is to buy some new springs to try to raise the rear end. Has anyone had a positive experience restoring the original height of the vehicle by installing new springs?

Thanks!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I also had the Nivomat shocks. Truck had 276,000 on it and I had no service history, so I figured I should do the shocks. I also couldn't compress them by hand. I replaced with kyb excel, which supposedly are compatible with the zw7, which I have.I'm very unhappy with the way it handles at highway speeds no. Sways side to side, which is very nerve wracking. I was told to check lca bushings, which seem OK. I'm also leaning towards rear springs, but I eventually want to lower, 2/3, nothing crazy, but don't want to buy rear springs twice. Any suggestions on springs? I'd like to keep the kybs if possible. They're the excels. Thx.

asd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Yukon 2wd w/ ZW7 here with 175k miles. I'll be putting on front shocks tomorrow - Bilstein B6 4600, part # 24065009. I will report back. I wasnt quite sure how to determine if the oem front or rear Nivomats were bad so I figured I'd start with the fronts. How does everyone like the B6 4600's in the front while running Nivomats in the rear?

Sinister

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well^^^You get them on? I like many others am juggling what to do. I have a 2002 Yukon SLT, its a short truck with ZW7 gota 230 on the clock, nivomats still on the back yet may have been replaced at some time but i have no idea. The front though are horrible. Bad nose dive on breaking, steering suffers some, sags to the front left. I have about 500+ pounds of car audio gear in the rear hatch, so my truck sits level without a leveling kit in the front. That all being said i need to replace the front shocks, thought was to stay stock hieght and go with 4600 which i consistently read are a tad firmer than the 5100. But i feel people are getting the 5100s mixed up as there is 2 models one for stock to mild lift and the other for 3+ lift. I guess my question is what model 5100s have you guys used t compare to 4600's and what ride hieght differences have you seen. I read one guy lost 2inch in the rear, but sounded like he didnt do springs. Anyone know if the 2500 series springs, which i woul dthink are firm spring rate, fit fine in the 1500 chasis'?

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe the zw7 package is pretty common on z71's. I know my 05 has them. So the "z71" springs may actually be nivomat springs on a large portion of them. I have the purchased the Bilstein shocks and springs but I have not swapped them yet. I believe my stock shocks are still hanging in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094