NIVOMAT Shock Replacement Input Needed.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

number9

Reaction score
Hey guys, I (my wife) has a 2003 GMC Yukon (4dr, 4x4) SLT with 103,000 miles on it. It's time for new shocks, but it has the NIVOMAT rear shocks (Sachs self-leveling shocks) - "ZW7 - Premium Smooth Ride Suspension" so, I have some questions....

How long are these NIVOMAT shocks typically good for?
- maybe it's just the front shocks that are shot and need replaced?

Do most replace the NIVOMAT shocks with Bilstein and also opt for the Bilstein rear spings as well, or swap out the stock rear springs for the Z71 springs?

Are the Bilstein and Z71 springs the same? If not, what's the difference, which one has the higher spring rate?

If I swap the NIVOMAT shocks for the Bilstein and new springs, how will the ride/handling compare to stock NIVOMAT suspension?

I have searched around on the web a little and can't find a whole lot of info on these - was hoping you guys could help me here since you are so knowledged about the trucks.

Thanks.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised it lasted 103k.

A lot of people do Arnott shocks since they are like OEM, but cheaper.

You can swap out the rear shocks to aftermarket without swapping springs

OP
OP
N

number9

Reaction score
I'm surprised it lasted 103k.

A lot of people do Arnott shocks since they are like OEM, but cheaper.

You can swap out the rear shocks to aftermarket without swapping springs

Yeah, but theyre $300 each.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but theyre $300 each.

I know. Just giving you options....

On my 04 Escalade, I just unhooked the battery, removed the shocks, pulled the RTD fuse, installed aftermarket shocks, reattached the battery, and never worried about the auto ride again.

OP
OP
N

number9

Reaction score
ZW7 - Premium Smooth Ride Suspension are NOT the auto-ride shocks. Completely different suspension.

ZW7 - Premium Smooth Ride Suspension is self-leveling rear shocks - no wires, hoses, etc running to them. They are also known as "NIVOMAT" rear shocks.

You can either pay $300+ each for them (or their equivelent from KYB or Monroe) or you can buy Bilstein shocks AND replacement rear springs part #199021.

Have also read that you can install Z-71 rear springs (reported to be same rate as the Bilstein springs).

My post was directed at those who have trucks with these shocks and what their experience when they replaced them.

Sorry for not being more specific.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
I had a blown Nivomat last summer at 80,000ish miles. I found a nearly new pair with less than 10,000 miles on ebay for $100 shipped if i recall correctly. I too didn't want to pay $300+ for a new shock, so try ebay.

Bigdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 with ZW7 suspension and had to change the front shocks recently. I went with the Bilstein and love them. Rides so nice.

OP
OP
N

number9

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've actually been researching this all day.

I want to get away from the Nivomats anyway.

I spoke to Bilstein tech and got the correct part #'s for the 5100 series shocks and the replacement rear springs. This is for my wife's bone stock Yukon - not lifted, no keys, etc. These shocks do allow a little lift from stock as you can see in the descriptions, but they are also fine for stock height trucks as well.

Front Shock
Part Number: 24-186643
Series: 5100 Series
Position: Front
Descriptor: Excludes Police Package
Descriptor: Excludes Z55 Autoride Suspension Package
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: 0-2.5"
Descriptor: Torsion Key Lift
*Collapsed Length (IN): 12.54
*Extended Length (IN): 16.3
*Collapsed Length (MM): 318.5
*Extended Length (MM): 414
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-C153-H0

Rear Shock
Part Number: 24-187237
Series: 5100 Series
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Excludes Police Package
Descriptor: Excludes Z55 Autoride Suspension Package
Descriptor: If vehicle is equipped with ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Nivomat Suspension you must
purchase Bilstein spring part number 199021 in addition to the damper
Descriptor: Rear Lifted Height: 0-1"
Descriptor: Rear Lifted Height: 5" if using rear stock shock relocation bracket
*Collapsed Length (IN): 15.55
*Extended Length (IN): 24.33
*Collapsed Length (MM): 395
*Extended Length (MM): 618
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-F265-H0

Rear Springs
Part Number: 199021
Series: B3 (OEM Replacement Springs)
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Can be used in conjunction with appropriate Bilstein shock to convert air leveling
(Nivomat) vehicles to standard suspension
Descriptor: Except Electronic Adjustable Suspension

The springs are showing near $90 each on some sites, but I found them at mudflaps . com for $47 each. I called to confirm they had them in stock ready to ship and they did. So I ordered the above shocks and springs.

Should have them in about 4-5 days and I'll be sure and post followup when I get them on. Too many threads just end and leave you hanging when people don't reply back and makes it very difficult for others following their same path.

Last edited:

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear the end results. Please take before and after measurements and pics!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
N

number9

Reaction score
Will do.

I got the shocks and springs in, but it's just too dang cold to fool with putting them on right now. Hopefully in a few days the weather will warm up a bit so I can get this done.

But I will update with ride height difference, if any, and a test drive report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9