New Tahoe owner from the old country....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael1972

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
says hi to everyone :)

My name is Michael, 45y young. Used to life in the US for 7 years, 97-04. Had an 78 Ramcharger, 3 Door, 4x4. Well, the Suv-Truck virus never left....thus...last week I purchased a 2002 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3 engine. 3rd owner. 3 inch rised suspension with nice rims on it.
I usually do my own tuning, fixing....on the Tahoe I have a lot to learn, hence.....tadaaaa...I suscribed to this great forum.
Have done a lot of reading the last days, enough to find out that I have an auto TC, NP8.
The next step is, to get a shop manual, found some CD downlodas on the www ....should suffice. As a second, I will be getting a code reader.

Buying a Tahoe gas-V8 in Germany...uhm...is quite crazy, since the gas prices are killing you, one does never find a parking space....and most everyone else deems you a complete idiot to buy a gas-guzzler in times when all the cars in the world are going to be electric powered soon........but hey... one lives only once...and as long as there is fuel to burn.....:)

Anyhow, I do have a general question on the operation of the 4x4, since there was a noise during the test drive. The owner said it was -normal- whatever that means, due to the lack of comparable vehicles.... I would like to ask the unparalled wisdom of the forum for help :) am going to write my question in tne 2000-2006 Tahoe subforum. The previous owner is fixing up some issues, however I want to make sure that the 4x4 is working 100% ....

Cheers...and some relaxing holidays.......
Michael

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Shouldnt ‘hear’ any noise putting into 4wd. With that said you should feel it and will know it's in anything but 2hi but as far as clicking, grinding etc..noise just shouldn’t be there.

Auto- basically just locks hubs until it senses a slipping wheel

4hi- all 4 are powered and it will skip on dry pavement

4low- all 4 powered and only necessary for deep snow/mud, extra ‘torque’ etc.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Michael!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Tech2 and not a regular code reader. This was the tool the technicians used to use at the dealership to work on your truck. GM moved onto something else now but you can buy them brand new from China. Check ebay for service manuals for your truck, download or cd or even a whole bunch of books. I prefer the books but settle for the CD!

I just love that your totin' Detroit iron in Europe! These engines are actually extremely efficient for the work that they do, much more so than a Smart Car or a Trabant!

OP
OP
M

Michael1972

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Smart..is not a car......
closest ... golf-cart....

Yep, I love those american cars.....and bikes.
Tech2...hmmmmm....I just looekd them up on Ebay..some state that they can code read only? On others they claim that one needs some additional HW? I am familiar with China clones, run Lexia -for Peugeot-Citroen, can do changes im the ECU or BCM ...however om the Tech2 I habe some more reading up to do.
I would prefer a device that can handle lower layers as well, a simple code reader - resettimg tool is really not what I am looking for...

Cant wait to get me Tahoe........ love to see them faces turn red....if the "GOOD FOLK", those lefties..... start to ***** and complain about gas guzzling..... I will flor the accel..and let them hear the American roar...:):):)

Gesendet von meinem P01Y mit Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, let's say your AC isn't coming out of the vents right. Are you going to fiddle with each actuator and replace them one at a time or hook up the tech2 and find out which one is the culprit and why in seconds? I've got one slowly going bad and because of the Tech2, been able to keep it in synch and working for six months now.

The real ones are not read only, they can make changes, run tests, reprogram and read codes. A must have especially for you out there all by yourself. Many code readers cannot read ABS, Airbag or even driveline codes. Tech2 can read and see just about everything.

OP
OP
M

Michael1972

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds good to me!
I will open up another thread, summarizing all the systems I have found so far.....
The Tech2 predecessor....is that the VXDIAG VCX? Runs on an Laptop..should have same functionylity as the Tech2 handheld....

Cheers,
Michael

Gesendet von meinem P01Y mit Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9