New Tahoe owner, door lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just purchased the tahoe yesterday and went to walmart today and when we got out of walmart this afternoon we realized the key doesn't open the door. You insert the key and it just turns left and right but doesn't engage to unlock. Lock guy came out and after the lock smith came out it turns out the power unlock button doesn't work either.

It was suggested that as far as the key goes, it is not engaging and the linkage could be disconnected(hope this makes sense I'm not mechanically inclined), is this a take the panel off and reconnect problem solved thing?

I just messed around with it outside and the power locks will lock and unlock, if your in the car. They stop working when you put the key in the door and try to unlock the door it freezes the power locks and they no longer work, you have to manually unlock all the doors and then the alarm goes off when you open the door and you have to put the key in the ignition to kill the alarm.

I thought of ordering replacement key fobs from amazon(2 for $26) but then got to thinking if the power locks aren't working would this cause the key fob not to work. Obviously I'm going to contact the dealership and try to get them to fix it, especially since it's been less than 24 hours. However it was purchased "AS IS", at least I know to check the key and door locks on the next purchase, dumb move on my part I know.

I hope this all makes sense, if not I can try to explain it better.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit the fob key lock button twice. The horn should honk. If it doesn't then the locking mechanism is not working right. It could be linkage or lock actuator. Unfortunately it sounds like the door panel has to come off to inspect.

In the case of a busted door lock cylinder you can do what I did and order a whole new kit which includes the ignition cylinder, door lock, tailgate glass and tire winch lock PLUS 2 brand new keys already coded and ready to go.

Last edited: