New Tahoe owner checking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, totally new to the Tahoe and American vehicles in general. My wife and I just picked up a beautiful white 2007 LT3 4WD and so far we're enjoying it.
I do have so many questions about this thing being new to Chevys.
If you could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this is a whole different animal compared to our 2004 Honda Pilot and 2012 Mitsubishi Evolution.
So far we have given it a good cleaning/detail inside and out, ordered a Derale 8000 series trans cooler, new headlights, LED bulbs, wiper blades, mudflaps, a sunshade and a few other small things. I've been researching like crazy about fluid types and capacities as I plan to change transfer case and both diff fluids. I don't like the fact that the rear diff doesn't have a drain bolt though. I may order a new cover to make future fluid changes easier. Currently eyeballing the Mag-Hytec cover. If you guys have other suggestions please let me know. Same goes for the trans pan. I really like having drain bolts.
Speaking of drain bolts, do the Tahoes use crush washers? I've read conflicting things regarding this such as people buying new bolts every fluid change and others talking about putting Teflon tape on the old bolt threads??? Strange.. The latter is not something I would even think about doing.
So basically I just want to start with all new fluids including brake & PS. Add the trans cooler. I'll probably break down and change water pump, thermostat, coolant and belts as well. The truck has 128K miles and I don't see any signs of the water pump ever being changed.
I did notice a small leak coming from the steering rack when I was crawling around under the truck today. Looked to be seeping from a bolt/plug on the bottom of the rack closer to the driver's side.
I cleaned up the fluid and most of the undercarriage this morning and plan to keep a close eye to see exactly where it's coming from. Is this PS leak a common problem? Oh and the power folding mirrors aren't working either. Seems like the plastic gears are probably stripped or broken. Something else I will have to address sooner or later. Overall the truck is in damn good condition and we are really happy with it.
Well I guess I've rambled enough for now. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning and contributing as I become more familiar with our new ride.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Welcome! No crush washers on the drain plug. The mirrors are very common for the gears to strip out. your options are get a new mirror, or take apart and change the gears (do a search, a member just did this repair. There is only one manufacturer for the gears out there right now). As for the rack, I don't think its too common of an issue, but from the sounds of it, youll be doing the rest of the maintenance as well, so you shouldnt have any problems after that. Water pump on my 07 with 155k never was replaced, and never showed any signs of failing.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Glad to be a part of another community. Forums are very helpful. I'm learning lots from browsing threads here.

@fiatdale, so do you suggest I hold off on the water pump for the time being? I don't think GM specifies a service interval on them, but at what point should it be changed? I'd hate to wait for a catastrophic failure that may leave us stranded somewhere. I'm sure you get what I'm saying..

For the mirror gears, I found this:
http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenpa...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/
Looks promising. May be a PITA to take the mirrors apart and install the new gears though.

And as far as the drain/fill bolts go, what is my best option when changing engine oil, T-case fluid and both diff fluids? New bolts, reuse old bolts, etc..
I just want to do it right the first time and not have any leaks/seeping.

Speaking of fluids.. I plan to use Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic as that's what the previous owner has always used. Auto-Trak II for the T-case of course. But should I stick with OEM for the diffs or is there something better? Redline, Amsoil severe gear?
What do you seasoned vets suggest?

Other cool things I've found are the Corvette servo mod, Airaid intake & BB tuning.

Any suggestions on rear diff covers with drain plugs that work with our factory rear sway bar? Seems like a tight fit as it is with the stock cover.

Thanks again!

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Glad to be a part of another community. Forums are very helpful. I'm learning lots from browsing threads here.

@fiatdale, so do you suggest I hold off on the water pump for the time being? I don't think GM specifies a service interval on them, but at what point should it be changed? I'd hate to wait for a catastrophic failure that may leave us stranded somewhere. I'm sure you get what I'm saying..

For the mirror gears, I found this:
http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenpa...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/
Looks promising. May be a PITA to take the mirrors apart and install the new gears though.

And as far as the drain/fill bolts go, what is my best option when changing engine oil, T-case fluid and both diff fluids? New bolts, reuse old bolts, etc..
I just want to do it right the first time and not have any leaks/seeping.

Speaking of fluids.. I plan to use Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic as that's what the previous owner has always used. Auto-Trak II for the T-case of course. But should I stick with OEM for the diffs or is there something better? Redline, Amsoil severe gear?
What do you seasoned vets suggest?

Other cool things I've found are the Corvette servo mod, Airaid intake & BB tuning.

Any suggestions on rear diff covers with drain plugs that work with our factory rear sway bar? Seems like a tight fit as it is with the stock cover.

Thanks again!

welcome! personally if I would hold off on the water pump if it shows now signs of frailer. but that is just my way of thinking on something like a water pump, as most of the time they will let you know they are going bad.

just inspect the bolts when u pull them. as long as the correct tool was used to remove them in the past they should be fine.

I run mobil 1 in my engine and royal purple in my diff, trans, and power steering. but that I just because I was raised on mobil 1 and ive had good luck with RP

the mag hytec cover is a beast. some people claim it doesn't interfere with the sway bar and some say it wount fit. personally I have no idea but if you are concerned about that. I know there are many other companies that make covers that don't up the fluid amt and take up less space (g2, B&M, Moser, and TA performance to name a few)

good luck with your new ride and welcome to TYF

Yugo

Reaction score
Welcome! Looks clean. I bought mine a year ago, also with 128k miles, 2007 4x4, LT1.