New owner wanting to flush transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimconowitz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought my 2003 Gmc Yukon, 2wd 5.3 with 160k and I want to flush the transmission out some time next week. My question is how many quarts does the pan hold and how much fluid in total? And what brand atf should I go with? thanks

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is the trans fluid now? Not sure if flushing at that mileage is a good idea

OP
OP
J

Jimconowitz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fluid is still reddish pink, however the fluid showed up to be alittle low on the dipstick and I don't know how long it's been since it's ever been changed or how long it's been run like that, and by flushing the transmission I mean pulling the transmission cooler line to pump out all the old ATF then a filter change, instead of just replacing the filter and ATF from the trans pan. I'm really wanting to change out all the ATF. Can it be bad for the yukon if I the fluid out from the cooler lines from running the motor to pump out the old ATF? Thanks

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 5 quarts if you just drop the pan and filter. For a complete flush I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123