New Owner Questions: Brakes and Ride height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirk13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. A couple of months ago we picked up a 2017 Tahoe Premier with around 60k miles. There are a few things I’d like to get some insight on from folks who know the vehicles well.

Ride height: it seems like the rear end sits kind of high, that or the front end is low. The car has a lot of “rake” to it. It does have the Max Tow package so I thought maybe this could be attributed to that.

Brakes: dealer replaced the rear pads and rotors before we got it. However, the brakes squeal when coming to a stop. I figured they used low quality stuff so I’m planning to replace the pads and rotors with something better quality. Could it be coming from the ebrake shoes instead?

SXM: doesn’t get reception consistently. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn’t. The dealer did have to fix a roof leak coming from the antenna. I plan to take the head liner down to make sure things are hooked up right. Is there a ground up there that may need cleaned? Should I be looking to just replace the antenna?

Thanks!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rake is normal. It's that way for loading, handling, and mpg. I wouldn't worry about it unless it has the stink bug look.

Squealing is possibly that they just did a quick job and didn't lube the back of the pads with high temp silicone lube. Easy fix. If your wheels are turning black at all, then it could be pad material and then maybe new pads are needed. If the rotors are already rusting, then replace with OEM or equivalent with a good coating.

XM radio: since they already fixed it, let the make it correct. Maybe corrosion on a connection, or not tight like you suspected. It should work ALL the time, minus coverage/blockage due to roofs/overpasses/ cliffs.

Last edited:

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powerstops all the and stainless brake lines. It'll stop like a race car

OP
OP
D

Dirk13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rake is normal. It's that way for loading, handling, and mpg. I wouldn't worry about it unless it has the stink bug look.

Squealing is possibly that they just did a quick job and didn't lube the back of the pads with high temp silicone lube. Easy fix. If your wheels are turning black at all, then it could be pad material and then maybe new pads are needed. If the rotors are already rusting, then replace with OEM or equivalent with a good coating.

XM radio: since they already fixed it, let the make it correct. Maybe corrosion on a connection, or not tight like you suspected. It should work ALL the time, minus coverage/blockage due to roofs/overpasses/ cliffs.
I get that about the rake. It just seems excessive on this vehicle. I can post a photo later.

Good point on the lubrication. I may just pull it apart and try that first.

Most of the time XM just says “searching for signal” even with an open clear sky, no chance of blockage. Occasionally if left on, it will come thru momentarily. I get making them take it back and fix it, but I don’t even know if it worked prior to the leak fix. I figure there has to be some corrosion due to the leak. I’d rather just take care of it myself than have to deal with them.

OP
OP
D

Dirk13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Powerstops all the and stainless brake lines. It'll stop like a race car
It does stop fine now. Just the squeal right before coming to a complete stop is what I need to get rid of. It doesn’t only happen after the car has sat for a while. It happens all the time even after driving and using the brakes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar