New old Tahoe owner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drb007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought this 99 from my boss, who bought it new. It has 104,000 on it and full service records. He hasn't driven it much for the last 8 years, as it's been an extra vehicle for them. My 15 yo daughter gets her learner's permit Monday, and I got this truck for her (my 18 yo daughter drives an 02 Suburban).

We put 20" wheels with new rubber from an 02 Silverado on it today and it really dressed it up. Tomorrow we are replacing the belt and idler pulley and tensioner pulley. It has a coolant leak from a hose coming off the intake, so that gets done tomorrow too. The brakes are all new. Is there anything else I should do as good preventative work on this particular truck?

Oh, and I need to know what alternator I have...105 amp or 140 amp? Can any of you tell by looking?

Attachments

• tahoe.jpg
    tahoe.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18
  • tahoe1.jpg
    tahoe1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tahoe3.jpg
    tahoe3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 15
  • tahoe2.jpg
    tahoe2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My system lists the 105A as an internal fan design where as 140A as an external fan so you should have the 105A. Typically you wont find the larger alternator on anything except the top trims with fully loaded interiors.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I got a 200 amp in a 140 case on ebay for less than a 140 at the local parts store. If you want I'll see if that seller is still around

OP
OP
D

drb007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer. Right now the alternator is working just fine. We fixed the coolant leak (kind of a stupid design, but an easy fix) and have new(used) seatbelts coming today. The po had dogs that chewed every single belt. My daughter is going to paint the calipers today, as well as the frame rails and hitch. We will buff it out after that and it should be set for a while!

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant leak is a common one. Best way to fix it is to buy the replacement that is a nipple instead of the quick connect and replace all the heater hoses while you're at it. And when you go to pick that up, get a heater core too because pulling on the old hoses to get them off will invariably cause the old core to leak. Ask me how I know.......

Another common problem is the lower intake gaskets. Keep a close eye on your oil and coolant levels. They are bad about failing and releasing coolant into the oil and will wreck the motor if you don't catch it in time. There is a wealth of information on that job and the right parts to get and things to do while you are there. Just search the forums and you should find it.

OP
OP
D

drb007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've did replace the heater hose leak with the stock replacement. What a dumb design. Not surprisingly, the $2000 truck is going to take some work and more $$ to get it up to *****. I am currently sorting out the suspension and steering items that are worn. Once that's done I think I'll do the lower gaskets just to have them done, new heater hoses and core, etc.
Then a quick repair to the driver's door lower skin and we should be good to get her through high school!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts