New GM SUV Buyer, How Good Are These Cars? Long Term Owners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right there, after all, the question is rather philosophical, and a matter of faith))) Different generations of GM, 900, K2XX, T1. they have different units, different automatic transmissions, different engine modifications. everyone has some sickness. Personally, I have this third generation, I had a Tahoe 900, I traveled 170 thousand km, not a single breakdown at all, under warranty they only changed the steering wheel braid and the front Emblem. And the operation was hellish) K2 I passed 150 thousand km, also no problems. Right now I'm riding T1, and I believe, I hope, I love)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently looking into buying a GM SUV, really looking into a (Suburban or Yukon XL). Been doing research online, youtube vids, blogs/forums etc, etc. How reliable are the new GM Full size SUV? How happy are you with your purchase? Any issues to look out for? Responses from long term owners is highly appreciated!

The type of Yukon/Suburban I'm mostly interested is the mid-entry trims (RST,SLT, maybe Z71 or AT4) They look so nice!

Thanks!
most of the issue's reported on the new 21+ platform are electronics/software related things that they are still working the bugs out on, if you really want that fresh look go for it but keep a small wrench in the glove box so the battery can be disconnected and reconnected if it happens to "glitch out"
if you want to save a little bit and not take that 40-50k depreciation hit then get a 18-20

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 Dmax ultimate. A few minor issues handled well by my dealer. Been enjoying this vehicle for over 2 years with no fears or show stopping events. Runs great, exceptional fuel mileage, didn't pay over sticker, hauls the world around in comfort, best road trip vehicle I've ever had. If you never stick your foot in the water, you'll never get to swim.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We like our 2022 Denali just fine. No issues and we really enjoy driving it. Yea, things can (and do) go wrong but there are a lot of GM vehicles (most of them) that are just trucking along. Buy something new, you will have a warranty, and appreciate how nice these vehicles are and how far the technology has come.

Kehoelaw1989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
22 Tahoe RST here. I've had it for just over a year and put 22k miles on it! Multiple long trips and plenty of city driving. Not a single issue. I've been very happy with the comfort, handling, and mileage along the way. Looking forward to many more years with this rig!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently looking into buying a GM SUV, really looking into a (Suburban or Yukon XL). Been doing research online, youtube vids, blogs/forums etc, etc. How reliable are the new GM Full size SUV? How happy are you with your purchase? Any issues to look out for? Responses from long term owners is highly appreciated!

The type of Yukon/Suburban I'm mostly interested is the mid-entry trims (RST,SLT, maybe Z71 or AT4) They look so nice!

Thanks!
When ever I see these questions, I can't help but think about this meme:
1687185638665.png
I've had 4 Tahoes and 2 Yukons since 2002 and haven't had any "major" problems with any of them that would make me say I'd never buy one again. Sure, I've had them need various repairs (leaking power steering, leaking AC coils, etc) but all have been fixed under warranty and came back working fine for the remaining time I owned them. Every manufacturer has had their share of problems that have caused some owners to say "I'll never buy that brand again." Personally, I just go with a vehicle that has features that I want and just like the appearance/color. I guess you just have to go with what the meme says... :waytogo:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving all kinds of opinions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum. Personally, I don't think that you would be disappointed in purchasing one of these trucks.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks!
I have owned about 10 large SUVs. I currently have a new Tahoe. Of all the vehicles of this type I've ever had my favorite was a Toyota Sequoia. I would have purchased a new Sequoia except they are now hybrid, which I do NOT want. Overall, I like the Tahoe. But here are the negatives of GM versus Toyota. GM has Forced Lighting. You can override the Daytime Running Lights, DRL but you must do so on every start. With Toyota, off is really OFF. GM vehicles have the universally dreaded engine Stop-Start technology. Permanent overrides for this are readily available. Toyota does not do this. General Motors makes their engines more complicated in order to get a little bit more gas mileage. Toyota does not do this. A Toyota V8 engine can be COUNTED ON to go at least 350,000 miles. General Motors is discontinuing Apple CarPlay. Toyota is committed to Apple CarPlay. I would not buy a car for A NICKEL without Apple CarPlay. Do I like my Tahoe? Yes. But it's not the best I've ever owned. But if you're trying to avoid hybrid, a Tahoe or Suburban is a good way to go.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see these trucks as long-term investments. They are the best true "utility" vehicles I've ever owned. Hands-down the finest road trip, towing, kid-hauling, errand-running, lumber-getting, camping rigs you can buy. We have 2 Yukon XL Denali's from the 900 platform ('07 & '12), and both of them are in pristine condition and reliable such that I wouldn't hesitate to drive either of them on the Alcan highway tomorrow.

Having watched these pages closely since this latest generation came out, I think we have another winner. The lifter issues are no longer dominating the threads, and the number of people getting stranded somewhere as a result seems to be dropping close to zero.

Naturally the newest generation has very few parts in common with the ones we own, but they still aren't "throw-away" cars, in my opinion, and I anticipate that they will stand the test of time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21