New GM SUV Buyer, How Good Are These Cars? Long Term Owners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMan12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently looking into buying a GM SUV, really looking into a (Suburban or Yukon XL). Been doing research online, youtube vids, blogs/forums etc, etc. How reliable are the new GM Full size SUV? How happy are you with your purchase? Any issues to look out for? Responses from long term owners is highly appreciated!

The type of Yukon/Suburban I'm mostly interested is the mid-entry trims (RST,SLT, maybe Z71 or AT4) They look so nice!

Thanks!

thegrunter

Reaction score
I like your question too. I just got my 2021 Blazer "Lemon Lawed" and I am working with GM to get me a new vehicle. The 9 speed tranny went out on my Blazer. They had torque converter issues on that Tranny and my issue was a bit worse requiring a complete new tranny. I don't think I want to get back into that 9 speed, so I'm looking at the Tahoe with the 10 Speed. If there is any weak link in the RWD V8 platforms, it has to be the 10 Speed tranny that is new to combat the gas prices. I leery, but I haven't seen too many complaints here about the 10 speed, so it might be better than the 9 speed FWD tranny. Good luck with your new vehicle search.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be multiple opinions on this topic from the LOVE IT! to THIS EFFING POS!

I personally have a 2008 Denali and a 2017 Denali 6.2L. I like them both for different reasons.

It does seem as though the newer stuff has more weird glitches that seem to show up. Random computer shutdowns, battery drain issues, etc.

The engine side isn't much better for the early years and especially covid years
1. Injector issues
2. Main bearing / engine failures in 6.2L
3. Lifter failures in all V8 engines

I personally wouldn't even consider spending what they ask for one of these and I've only owned GM for 27 years. I think you'd be better off looking at a 2018 to 2020 model. They seem to have all the good refinements without many issues.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I am with @B-train on paying the price for a new gadget filled and therefore problem prone, GM SUV.

I love my 2005 Tahoe. Sounds like you want the bigger Suburban size. Good luck but buyer beware. Lots of threads here about the problems.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We came from toyota and have been happy. Wife drives a diesel slt yukon. Epic gas mileage and tows really well.

Almost 10k miles and no issues yet.

I used to be a GM heavy line tech and understood what could go wrong. New generation is best yet. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. Lifters on gas engines can be a problem but the fix is quick and painless.

10 speed has been very reliable so far. The 8 speed was very problematic with shift criteria. 6 and 4 speeds are garbage.

If you like it's feature set I think you will be happy. I really wanted the new redesigned sequoia but in terms of 3rd row and cargo capacity it was not even remotely competitive so made the transition to GM.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a loaded question, like B-train stated you will get multiple opinions from one extreme to the other. It's kind of hard to come on a GM forum and ask how good they are and long-time owners. The majority are very happy and enjoy their vehicles but there are problems with every manufacturer, just visit other forums. Most who post on this forum are having an issue or want info on how to modify it to fit their needs. If you look at that percentage versus units sold it is very small. Ultimately you are the one who has to decide what brand you want to buy. Good luck with your decision.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @B-train. I wouldn’t spend the kind of money on these new ones. They aren’t near as dependable. The 8 speeds are junk the ten speeds are a ford/GM brain trust and are just ok. They really have went downhill unfortunately. Not sure I would ever trust a diesel from GM at any point. Would probably stay with the 6.2 over any other engine although they all have their problems. I think all manufacturers are dealing with the same kind of mess now though. The engineers are getting dumber by the minute. Seems they all graduated from the same school and received their participation trophy’s.

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @B-train. I wouldn’t spend the kind of money on these new ones. They aren’t near as dependable. The 8 speeds are junk the ten speeds are a ford/GM brain trust and are just ok. They really have went downhill unfortunately. Not sure I would ever trust a diesel from GM at any point. Would probably stay with the 6.2 over any other engine although they all have their problems. I think all manufacturers are dealing with the same kind of mess now though. The engineers are getting dumber by the minute. Seems they all graduated from the same school and received their participation trophy’s.
What are you talking about ? Lol

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently looking into buying a GM SUV, really looking into a (Suburban or Yukon XL). Been doing research online, youtube vids, blogs/forums etc, etc. How reliable are the new GM Full size SUV? How happy are you with your purchase? Any issues to look out for? Responses from long term owners is highly appreciated!

The type of Yukon/Suburban I'm mostly interested is the mid-entry trims (RST,SLT, maybe Z71 or AT4) They look so nice!

Thanks!
I really like the new body style but not sure I would the gas version until GM fixes the lifter issue. I have own a OBS, NBS and K2XX body style and they all have been great vehicles.

96 Tahoe, sold it 95k miles, no issues
05 Yukon, still own it & has 190k miles no issues ( lots of preventative maintenance)
17 Tahoe, sold it with less than 40k no issues
Going to pull the trigger on a 23 RST Duramax in the next couple of months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo