NEW 8" ///ALPINE indash receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

phattyford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that looks sweet! So wait did you have to get a custom trim piece for the whole surrounding area of the head unit? Looks like you had brushed aluminum trim and now you have just a flat black trim?

you have to get "the perfect fit" kit to install this unit. it's another couple hundred bucks. that's the only thing that i don't like about it. how the trim isn't flush anymore and bows out to follow the contour of the screen. other than that it's BA! i got the chance to play around with one yesterday and it's awesome. the sound shop here quoted me $1750; that included the screen, perfect fit kit, all the pac units needed, alpine back up camera, and installation. i was told that i would be able to retain on star and my satellite radio (cause i've had it since i've owned the truck and i have no idea who is paying for the subscription but it isn't me :rocking: haha!)

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The XM Radio module is contained in your vehicles VCIM so if you have an aftermarket radio (like this alpine one...) then it would no longer work with it. I think what that guy meant is you can still get XM (either you have to get a separate module for it that's optional or it has the XM radio built into the H/U itself).

Anyways yea I agree the screen looks bad ass but that trim piece that's flat black would kill me since it doesn't match any of the other (Fake) woodgrain I have in my car... I guess the only option would be to dip it in that liquid woodgrain coloring stuff... shit this could get pricey...

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It matches decently with the other components in that area :shrug:

rodwar254

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea man, you have to use Alpines Perfect FIT kit it has the trim and all the wire harnesses...im just going to either paint it brown to color match the dash or aqua dip it to match the denali wood

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

with the kit you retain onstar and the steering wheel controls, you have to use the sirusxm module to keep you xm but will have to either add/transfer/start a new account with xm because you will get a new xm id...but atleast you can use your factory antenna with it...

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it works fine when you use a thumb drive but not a external hard drive

That's because there is not enough power to power up the external hard drive. If you have an external hard drive that you can power from 110v, you can make it work.

I have almost 2TB that we can take on trips with us. I just use a converter to power up the External drive.

Looks good though... still up in the air about having to use that dash kit, but if you paint or dip it it should look great!

rodwar254

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang Mike thats a hell of a deal, i should have went to your shop lol...:Boo:

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

i never thought about the converter, im going to look into that...do you have one installed in your truck?

yea the kit is a big change but definetly going to change it up when i get some time...

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]i never thought about the converter, im going to look into that...do you have one installed in your truck?

working on it. Going to doing something like the USB retrofit... :Handshake:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea man, you have to use Alpines Perfect FIT kit it has the trim and all the wire harnesses...im just going to either paint it brown to color match the dash or aqua dip it to match the denali wood

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

with the kit you retain onstar and the steering wheel controls, you have to use the sirusxm module to keep you xm but will have to either add/transfer/start a new account with xm because you will get a new xm id...but atleast you can use your factory antenna with it...

Wait which XM module do you use? The factory one or one made by alpine that you have to buy separately?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you use a USB cell phone charger to power the HD?