New 2d Tahoe owner needs advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leigh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

After searching nationwide last summer I found a very nice rust free 1997 Tahoe , three owners and very clean and stock; even the radio is OEM.

The truck has just under 195k on it now and appears to have good even compression. Oil consumption is about 1qt every 2500 to 3000 miles using 5w-30 Penz synthetic.

I have a mpfi upgrade going in soon when weather cooperates.

My concern is for more power to address the stock manifolds/exhaust by going dual if possible.

My shopping list must contain a set of headers and an exhaust system that is stainless. I plan on upgrading the cats as this is a smog state and I am guessing that the OEM cats aren't in the best of shape.

What suggestions can you guys make for the headers , cats, and exhaust.

Also, I don't want excessive noise in fact no drone at all is desired.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner put JBA headers and a single-exit Dynomax muffler on my 98 two door. It sounds good, isn't obnoxious but does have a little drone to it. I think it's just something you'll get given the location of the exhaust system under the cab (compared to a truck where part of it is outside under the bed).

I did the MPFI swap on my 98 K1500 truck. Since then, it feels much more lively than the Tahoe with its stock injectors. I think that the injector upgrade is more bang for the buck.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
I cant help with any cat info but I have the Gibson headers. quality seems nice and the fitment was PERFECT!

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 2door with 4wd. Went with the high flow Y pipe and cats from Magna Flow about 7 years ago. A good product. Just recently, I replaced the stock manifolds with a set of stainless JBA shorty headers. The first set I received had holes in them at the welds. Sent back immediately and the second set is good. Not sure about the performance gains though... Also recently, I had a muffler shop cut out the original and stock muffler and replace it with a stainless muffler from Magna Flow. 2 in and 1 out. It sounds good but has a ****** drone from rpm range 2100 to 2400, there abouts. Outside that range it good. Not sure on the model of that muffler.

4myfreedom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner put JBA headers and a single-exit Dynomax muffler on my 98 two door. It sounds good, isn't obnoxious but does have a little drone to it. I think it's just something you'll get given the location of the exhaust system under the cab (compared to a truck where part of it is outside under the bed).

I did the MPFI swap on my 98 K1500 truck. Since then, it feels much more lively than the Tahoe with its stock injectors. I think that the injector upgrade is more bang for the buck.
Do you have a thread for mpfi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it’s been a year or so since I did it. I was replacing the lower intake (it was cracked) and swapped the injectors while I had it all apart.

Check YouTube, there are videos on doing it. It’s pretty straightforward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz