new 2009 Tahoe LTZ owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need new rear springs too if you delete the system

I wouldn't say need. The springs for the ALC-equipped models are only marginally softer. I'd let his frequency or weight of towing/cargo carrying determine this. Otherwise, I'd get some quality shocks and enjoy the more compliant ride.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome from SoCal. 09 LTZ with GM’s autoride active suspension. Lucky you. There was a time owners had a love/hate relationship with the z55 active suspension. It was a dealer only part and each replacement strut was around $500. A dealership would bill $2500 for diagnostics, two rear shocks, a new air pump and install. That’s what they did to me on my 08 Yukon, but my extended warranty covered it.

Fortunately, for you GM and BWI, who makes them now, lowered the price and offers a lifetime guarantee on them.

Figure $351 x 2 for the rear shocks, free shipping now and on potential exchanges for warranty, guaranteed for life to the registered owner. Add an aftermarket Arnott air pump if needed ($200) with auto overheat protection, the OEM doesn’t have, as well as a lifetime warranty.

An Independent shop will charge about $200 to install all that or it can be done in the driveway in about 1-2 hours. Figure about 9-$1.1k for a lifetime guarantee active suspension that’s unheard of for ride quality in this class of full size SUV.

Better than the $2.5k the dealer charged me in 2015 without the lifetime guarantee.

Do not swap in what’s offered as a less expensive work around as standard shocks. They’re a temporary fix that slowly drains your wallet and time. Stick with what GM engineered and from the get go lasts up to a decade.

Enjoy the ride and congrats.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say need. The springs for the ALC-equipped models are only marginally softer. I'd let his frequency or weight of towing/cargo carrying determine this. Otherwise, I'd get some quality shocks and enjoy the more compliant ride.
I'm just going by the amount of rear end sag I've seen after people delete the air shocks.

OP
OP
stretchb1953

stretchb1953

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup. You have ALC (Auto-Level Control) suspension and those air sleeves on the shocks are deteriorated. The usual chain of events is they wear through and leak and the compressor runs more than necessary. The leaks get worse and the compressor eventually runs itself to death. You can replace the shocks and compressor and it'll probably pick up where it left off. OEM shocks, if they're even available, will be really expensive. An aftermarket compressor unit is about $200 last I checked. The shocks have electronically variable valving in addition to the air sleeves. Most, if not all aftermarket shocks that have the air sleeves bypass the electronic valving with a built-in resistor. So the aftermarket shock will connect just like the original with the air and electrical connections, but the variable valving portion won't be operable. The resistor is there just to keep the StabiliTrak and Traction Control Systems happy.

So, if you don't or rarely tow, or don't tow or carry much weight, you can disable the ALC system by removing fuses and install some ~$12 resistors to bypass the other systems. Then, install whatever quality "dumb" shock you want. Bilstein 4600 series are pretty much the #1 choice for this. Lifting or lowering will alter your shock of choice, if either of these are in your plans.
great information, thank you. Stepdaughter won't be towing or carrying heavy loads. you mentioned installing some resistors. where do you install them? Thanks again for the help.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Z55 rear shock air bladders have been bad since we bought the Denali 5+ yrs ago. Doesn't sag and rides like a dream.
We don't tow a trailer with a lot of tongue wt.
Yeah, I'm just different i guess if I'm going through the trouble of changing shocks might as well throw some springs in there for an extra $60 for the z71 model springs. I'm already going to be dirty and cussing at the car so might as well lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Z55 rear shock air bladders have been bad since we bought the Denali 5+ yrs ago. Doesn't sag and rides like a dream.
We don't tow a trailer with a lot of tongue wt.

This was my experience with my Tahoe. The info I found online said the system maintains a minimum pressure (5 psi, IIRC) when unloaded and this resulted in about 1/2" of lift from "deflated". These things have far more than 1/2" of rake.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the air ride shocks and compressor on the 08 Yukon with these Vigor aftermarket pieces. I put them in around May and so far so good. Truck rides great. A little over $300 for everything.1000003539.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onid