New 03 Tahoe owner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeautifulMonster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm Mike
About three weeks ago I got a 2003 Tahoe 5.3 4wd with a tan leather interior.
It has around 281k (odometer is not actual) but it doesn't really matter lol
She's my daily too.

-1st thing first I need to replace the transmission. She shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and slips from 2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration.
I thought about swapping a built 60e in her but I really like the idea of the 80e swap.

-2nd issue would be the interior. Leather driver seat is toast and the other seats aren't great either. Door panels could be replaced too and the dash paint is chipping a little.
I really want to swap the front seats with the heated leather seats that are fully adjustable. I'll need the door panels too. I also would like to replace the rear door panels and bench seat to help freshen it up. Along with carpet lol

-3rd issue is the side view mirrors. I'm pretty sure the motors are shot
My friend's 05 z71 burban has the turn signal built in and when he shifts into reverse the mirrors tilt down a little. I'm pretty sure they're heated too. So I'd love to swap those in place too.

-4th issue is the cluster of course
I want the trans temp sensor and get all the blown out lights fixed. Possibly later I'll get the DIC so I'm just going to swap the cluster out for a 2500hd one

After all of that is fixed then I'll start on building the 5.3 and stuff, tires, lift, paint blahbblahblahblah

I'm also a Virginia native so if anyone is close by with parts let me know!

Any help/tips/suggestions/critisism is appreciated!!!

eagle-co94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you got a screaming deal on the truck. I'd suggest hitting up your local junkyards to see what you can find. A transmission would come with a warranty which is nice.

OP
OP
B

BeautifulMonster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the trans just failed on me today so now I'm going to have to get a replacement 60e for now. Whoop whomp

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Good luck on the trans. The other mods/repairs look like a good start.

OP
OP
B

BeautifulMonster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I'm torn between getting a "slighty built" 60e with no paperwork to prove it that's 4 hours away but only 500 bucks
OR
a local shop that has remanufactured stock ones with a 1 year warranty for 750...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'd go for the $750 deal. I'm in NJ and that's super cheap. Is that installed, or just for the trans itself and a core? Anyway, you'd have a warranty, with the $500 you'd be up a creek if and when something happens, and you know something will happen! Always does. Welcome :)

jhouston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
$750 isn't a bad deal, but when my trans went Jan of this year I took it to a performance shop and had it rebuilt with upgraded clutches, shift kit, servo and 2400 stall, should have gone with a bigger stall and it coat me $1500.00

I know these 4l60e are shit stock, I learned that with my caprice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
throwaway5262