Need your help with this FTS lifted 2-door Tahoe on 37's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing this tahoe. There are many concerns I have:

1) I know nothing about 2-door tahoes. I come from Jeep Wranglers

2) How do I know if it's been regeared? And if it has, how do I know what gear ratios they installed?

3) I heard it's best to replace the IFS with a solid axle when running big tires. It doesn't appear this tahoe has a solid axle front axle. Can anyone confirm?

4) Can the transmission handle 37's? And what if I put on my 40's I have sitting here at the house?

5) how reliable is the 5.7 in the tahoes for these types of big tires?

6) Clearly this tahoe hasn't seen any offroad. I plan on taking it off road. What upgrades, besides a solid front axle, should I install?

7) I worry if the ball bearings are good enough for the 37's. Tie rods? A arms? Etc...

8) Those of you with the FTS suspensions. Does the tahoe ride rough on the highway at 70mph?

9) The engine has been rebuilt... Is this a common thing for you tahoe owners?

10) For us Jeep owners we either lower the transfer case for our lifts or, for us serious about going off road, like me, we tuck the transfer case closer to the body and purchase custom axle shafts front and rear. Does this tahoe have custom driveshafts?

11) It looks like this tahoe has a lowered transfered case which If so, I'm not a fan of. But even so, can the stock axles or transfer case for that matter, handle the 37's tires?

** This will be my daily driver. What would you purchase to make sure nothing breaks when running 37" tires? On the occasional weekends I'll slap on my 40's I have here at the house and take her off road (not rocks-but mud/trails) what you then purchase to make sure this tahoe is built so nothing breaks?

www.gatewayclassiccars.com/houston/1997/chevrolet/tahoe-S556.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j