Need new ignition suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a slight miss in my 04 Yukon Denali (6.0, 108k miles) and think it's time for new plugs and wires and maybe even coils. Has anyone used any of the "performance" coils or wires with any even noticeably good results or should I just stick with stock?

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you waste money on coils change the plugs and wires first. And if you haven`t done it clean the MAF and the throttle body. If you still have the miss afterward then maybe you have a bad coil. And i would stick with oem coils unless you plan on doing major performance upgrades.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do pugs and wires anyway. Cleaning the MAF and TB are good ideas. I had a code pop up for a bad coil on #8 so I know I need at least one. I just want to know if there's any benefit to them. I have an intake right now and eventually will be doing headers, cam and maybe more (I've seen a few twin turbo kits that got me thinking). Most of the coils seem to be around $150 for a set and coils are $30-40 each. If it's worth it I'd pay the difference and just change out all of them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Me personally, I really like Taylor wires. I have them on my header equipped 03. Absolutely no problems.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For
I was going to do pugs and wires anyway. Cleaning the MAF and TB are good ideas. I had a code pop up for a bad coil on #8 so I know I need at least one. I just want to know if there's any benefit to them. I have an intake right now and eventually will be doing headers, cam and maybe more (I've seen a few twin turbo kits that got me thinking). Most of the coils seem to be around $150 for a set and coils are $30-40 each. If it's worth it I'd pay the difference and just change out all of them.
At that price you're going to get Chinese knock-off coils that won't last. Get ACDelco to replace one or two . I bought some MSD coils for mine but I have a lot of performance upgrades and even then they didn't do much except make my engine bay look better, and they were over $300.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about what I was expecting to hear. I'll just replace the one coil, plugs and wires. I can make them look pretty on my own

J Mac

Reaction score
I highly recommend sticking with AC Delco stuff. I put MSD coil packs and wires in my Yukon and picked up a miss less than a year later. Figuring it couldn't be the new MSD stuff, I didn't even consider them causing the miss. After fighting the miss for a couple weeks I swapped out the MSD coil packs with some unknown coil packs from a parts truck and the miss was gone. Yanked all the MSD stuff out and replaced with AC Delco and Yukon has run great ever since. Lesson learned. Expensive damn lesson...but lesson learned! Oh yeah...since by the time I figured out the problem it had been over a year since I bought the MSD stuff...no warranty at all.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend sticking with AC Delco stuff. I put MSD coil packs and wires in my Yukon and picked up a miss less than a year later. Figuring it couldn't be the new MSD stuff, I didn't even consider them causing the miss. After fighting the miss for a couple weeks I swapped out the MSD coil packs with some unknown coil packs from a parts truck and the miss was gone. Yanked all the MSD stuff out and replaced with AC Delco and Yukon has run great ever since. Lesson learned. Expensive damn lesson...but lesson learned! Oh yeah...since by the time I figured out the problem it had been over a year since I bought the MSD stuff...no warranty at all.

I hate those damn lessons! Experience: the product of something not going the way you originally thought it would!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy just one MSD coil just like one ACDelco. I looked into them before buying mine and they don't seem to have any more of a failure rate than the OEM stuff. They almost never fail. You obviously got a bad one but honestly that can happen with anybody's stuff.

J Mac

Reaction score
You can buy just one MSD coil just like one ACDelco. I looked into them before buying mine and they don't seem to have any more of a failure rate than the OEM stuff. They almost never fail. You obviously got a bad one but honestly that can happen with anybody's stuff.

There were 3 coil packs that went south. 2 were showing a lot of misfires and 1 not as much. Moved them to 'good' cylinders and the misfires followed the coil packs. I've never have a problem with MSD stuff before...loved the MSD ignition on my Bronco...but just didn't work on the Yukon. It was about 10 months ago and no misfires since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE