Need help with install. Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My setup is exactly the same as the schematic that you posted. It's the summit mechanical gauge in the line from the fuel filter to the throttle body. I'm going to install the colder range plugs now and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, I know you recommended AC Delco R42LTS plugs. Are you sure about that? I contacted summit and they said the LTS would be too long to clear my pistons, and I needed just regular TS plugs. I think the LTS is what's needed for Vortec heads, but you have the 95 like me. Are you actually running LTS plugs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I figured A LOT out, and I feel like I'm close. I changed over the plugs, and when I did, I noticed that the tubing had pulled out of the boot for the MAP sensor, so I slipped it back in so it was connected, and it started up like a champ. Fuel pressure at 17 psi!!!

I adjusted the regulator back down so the pressure is at 12.5-13 psi. Idles great. Shut it off, took the cap off that port on the adapter and reconnected the "T" hose from the regulator. Start it up and it's loping, surging, and running VERY rich. I checked the pressure again, still the same, 13 psi. Then I went around and pinched the line to the adapter from the two lines from the regulator, the idle smoothed out great, let it go, and it sounded like the engine drowned and died. Any ideas? Is my regulator bad, or is it something else?

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator is bad. Has a hole in the diaphragm allowing fuel to pass through where it shouldn't, so it's basically dripping into the intake, causing it to be REALLY rich. I'm hoping I'm able to find a new diaphragm. Otherwise, I contacted whipple and they referred me to someone who charges $175 to do a complete rebuild. All I need is the diaphragm. So frustrating.

And no, whipple doesn't sell specific rebuild kits anymore. The guy says it requires machining on the housing to get some new stuff to fit, but if I can find the same diaphragm, I think it should work.

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I found the gasket. It's a Mallory 3156. Here's the link on Summit. This looks exactly like what is leaking on mine. Going to order it and see how it does.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-3156/

Thanks for all the help on this, guys. It's almost done. I'm going to call Whipple Monday and see what grease they recommend for the rear bearings.

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve, it's been mostly due to a lot of help from Adam. Can't wait to get this thing done.

For anyone else following. I wanted to make this a look as OEM as possible, especially when it comes to the gauges for vac/boost and fuel pressure. I'm thinking about trying to fiberglass some gauge cups into the small areas on either side of the steering wheel in the dash piece. Either that, or up in the blank plate on the overhead console. Still working on figuring that out. I've never cared for the look of the gauge pods in the pillars.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
I have this in my truck for my fuel prsuure and water temp,
still need to mount my wideband and boost somehwere else..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo